These adorable Grinch Jello shots are going to be a huge hit at all your holiday parties this year. Vibrant green Jello and vodka are combined with peppermint extract for a shot in the Grinch’s signature color with a touch of holiday flavor. Whipped cream and tiny red candy hearts provide the perfect finishing touch!
If you’re looking for a fun and festive treat for your next holiday party, this Grinch Jello shot recipe just may be the perfect addition. These shots are cuter and more creative than the usual holiday drinks, and a lot easier. And like all Jello shots, they can be made in advance, which is a huge plus when you’re busy with party preparations.
These boozy treats will look great on your party table and they’re the perfect way to get the holiday fun started. And just in case the kids feel left out, you can easily omit the alcohol and make Grinch Jello cups just for them. Put these easy party treats on the top of your holiday season recipe list this year – they’re sure to put you and your party guests in a festive mood.
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Recipe
- These shots are so cute and festive, yet incredibly easy to make.
- This is a perfect recipe to liven up your next Christmas party or any holiday event.
- They’re the perfect Christmas Jello shots for fans of the popular Grinch movie.
- They can easily be made in a non-alcoholic version for kids or others who aren’t drinking.
- There are just a few simple ingredients, so the preparation is quick and easy.
- medium saucepan
- wire whisk
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- Jello shot cups or plastic shot glasses
- cookie sheet
- hot water – to dissolve the gelatin
- lime Jello (or any green gelatin) – this is the base of the recipe
- vodka – you can use any clear colored alcohol, or replace with ginger ale
- peppermint extract – this make is seem more like Christmas
- whipped cream for topping – use homemade or whipped cream from the can
- small red candy hearts for topping – this really turns these jello shots into Grinch shots
How to Make Grinch Jello Shots
Step One: Make the Jello Mixture
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Remove the hot water from the heat and add the green Jello mix. Whisk until the gelatin powder is completely dissolved.
- Add peppermint extract and vodka to the Jello mixture and stir.
Step Two: Cool and Add Toppings
- Place your shot glasses on a cookie sheet. Pour the cooled Jello mixture into the Jello shot cups and place in the refrigerator to set for at least two hours.
- Top with whipped cream and then place a red candy heart on top of the whipped cream. Enjoy!
Tips and Suggestions
- Be sure that all the gelatin power is thoroughly dissolved before adding the alcohol, so you don’t have any bits of undissolved powder in your shots.
- Different varieties of Jello will produce slightly different green colors, but If you’d like your shots to have a darker and more vibrant color, you can add a drop or two of green food coloring to the Jello mixture before pouring it into your shot cups.
- Use a large measuring cup with a pour spout for an easy way to fill the shot cups. It’s much less messy than trying to pour directly from the pot.
- Substitute ¾ cup cold water in place of the vodka to make a kid-friendly Jello treat for a child’s party or school event.
- You can use any flavor of green gelatin in place of the lime Jello. Substitute green apple flavor for an appletini Jello shot, or there’s even a Starburst watermelon-flavored gelatin that’s green.
- Depending on the Jello flavor you choose, you can leave out the peppermint extract, or substitute a different flavor that you prefer.
- Substitute rum or tequila, add some triple sec, or use a flavored vodka in place of plain vodka. Rum would be delicious with lime Jello and some coconut extract. Or try the apple Jello with some apple vodka or butterscotch schnapps. The possibilities are endless!
- Top the whipped cream with some green and red sprinkles or sanding sugar before adding the candy hearts.
- Add a pretty and tasty lime-sugar rim to your shot glasses. Put fresh lime juice around the rim and then dip each glass rim into green sanding sugar.
How Do I Store Grinch Jello Shots?
Be sure to keep them covered in an airtight container or use the plastic Jello shot cups that come with lids. They should keep in the refrigerator for about 4 days.
Can I Make Grinch Jello Shots in Advance?
Sure – these can be made a few days ahead of time. Just make sure you keep them refrigerated, and don’t add the whipped cream and red candy hearts until just before serving.
Try Our Other Jello Shot Recipes
- Candy Corn Jello Shots
- Sangria Jello Shots
- Lime Jello Shots
- Watermelon Jello Shots
- Rainbow Jello Shots
- Fourth of July Jello Shots
More Christmas Recipes
- Reindeer Krispies Treats
- Grinch Truffles
- Christmas Tree Meringues
- Santa Nutter Butter Cookies
- Melted Snowman Bark
- Candy Cane Danishes
- Christmas Wreath Cookies
The Grinch Jello Shots
- 2 oz. plastic shot cups
- 2 cups water
- 6 ounces green gelatin 1 packet
- 3/4 cup vodka
- 2-3 drops of peppermint extract
- 3/4 cold water
- Garnishes: Whipped cream and small red hearts
- In a medium pan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil, remove from heat and add in green jello mix and whisk until fully dissolved.
- Add peppermint extract and vodka if making these boozy.
- Pour cooled mixture into shot glasses and place into the refrigerator to set, around 2 hours or overnight.
- Top jello shots with whipped cream and a red heart! Enjoy
What’s For Dinner?
Find a recipe for dinner tonight! Get our Top 10 Most Popular recipes ebook sent right to your email.