Apple dumplings are a great way to get all that fall flavor in one bite! This recipe uses crisp Granny Smith apples that pair perfectly with the brown sugar and butter filling, cinnamon and all wrapped in a pie crust and topped with a lemon glaze!
Easy Apple Dumplings
Apple dumplings are a perfect fall dessert, combining all the fall ingredients. These make your kitchen smell amazing!
It doesn’t have to be hard to make them. You just need a few ingredients and you can have an impressive dessert.
Apple Dumpling Ingredients
- Refrigerator pie crusts – get these in the refrigerator section
- Apples – granny smith are great for this recipe. They hold up well.
- Butter – unsalted and softened
- Brown sugar – light brown sugar
- Cinnamon and nutmeg – this give great fall flavor!
- Lemon zest
- Egg white – for the outside of the dumpling
How to Make Apple Dumplings
Prepare a 9×13 baking dish and set aside.
In medium-sized mixing bowl combine the brown sugar, spices, lemon zest and butter. Mix to combine.
Carve a hold in the top of each apple, removing the core. Fill the cavity of each apple with the butter and sugar mixture.
Roll out each pie crust and cut a 7-inch square from each pie crust. It doesn’t have to be exact. Repeat with the remaining pie crusts. You will need to roll the leftover crust together and roll flat, to get seven squares.
Place the filled apples in the middle of each square piece of pie crust. Lightly brush the edges of each piece of dough with the egg whites. Fold over the apples and bind together, sealing the dough.
Place the dumplings in the prepared baking dish, leaving space between each apple.
Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
Top with lemon sauce.
What To Serve with this Dumplings Recipe?
This is a hearty dessert, but it begs for a scoop of vanilla ice cream or some whipped cream on top!
Want More Apple Recipes?
- 4 – 9 inch refrigerated pie crusts usually 2 boxes
- 7 med. Granny Smith apples peeled and cored
- 6 tbsp butter softened
- 1 c light brown sugar
- ¾ tsp cinnamon spice
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg spice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 lg egg white beaten
- Lemon Sauce
- 1 c granulated sugar
- 8 tsp corn starch
- 2 c water cold
- 6 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Using a non-stick cooking spray or butter, grease a 13×9 inch baking pan.
- Combine brown sugar, spices, lemon zest and butter. Fill the cavity of each apple with the mixture. Any leftover filling can be pressed around the outside of the apples.
- On a lightly-floured surface, roll out each pie crust circle slightly. Measure and cut a 7-inch square from each crust. This measurement is approximate. If you have something in your kitchen that is approximately that size, you can use it as a template. Repeat with remaining pie crusts. Re-roll leftover dough and repeat until you have your seven squares.
- Place your filled apples in the center of each square. Lightly brush the edges of each dough square with the egg white and fold up over apples, pleating and sealing to dough.
- Place dumplings in your prepared pan, not allowing them to touch each other.
- Bake on the center rack of your oven for approx. 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove pan to a baking rack to cool. Spoon sauce over dumplings to serve.
- Lemon Sauce
- Combine water, cornstarch and sugar. Stir until smooth and heat over medium heat until it comes to a boil. Boil until it thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add butter, lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir to mix. Serve warm over dumplings.
12 Days of Cookies!
Get 12 AMAZING Christmas cookie recipes in your email!