This easy, cheesy Rotel Dip with Sausage is a 3-ingredient stove-top appetizer that you can have ready for the big game or your next party in just 20 minutes. The flavors are classic, simple and absolutely irresistible. Crockpot instructions included!
Sausage Rotel Dip Recipe
Whether you’re looking for the perfect super bowl appetizer or just something to snack on for movie night, it just doesn’t get any better than this scrumptious cheesy sausage queso dip. Rich and hearty, this dip combines savory ground sausage, spicy Rotel tomatoes, and cubed Velveeta cheese that’s melted all in one large skillet until the dip is ooey gooey and deliciously dippable.
Serve the warm Velveeta queso with corn chips, tortilla chips, crackers, pretzels or fresh vegetables. It’s perfect for parties or a game day appetizer, just like our other favorite dip recipes, Buffalo Chicken Dip, Pizza Dip, or this amazing Spinach Artichoke Dip.
💓 Why We Love This Recipe
- Easy 3-ingredient dip recipe that you make all in one skillet in just 20 minutes.
- This makes the perfect party dip for game day parties, potlucks or anytime snacking.
- It’s super versatile by swapping out or adding ingredients to make your own version.
- Velveeta cheese
- Breakfast pork sausage (mild sausage or hot sausage)
- Rotel tomatoes, drained
🥄How to Make Stove Top Rotel Sausage Dip:
Step One: Cook the Sausage
- First thing is to add your sausage to a large skillet.
- Brown the sausage completely and then drain off the excess grease.
Step Two: Add the Cheese and Tomatoes
- Return the browned sausage to the pan.
- Add in Rotel tomatoes and the Velveeta. Stir to combine.
Tip: Cut the block of cheese into small pieces so it melts quicker.
Step Three. Heat until Melted
- Cook on low, until cheese is melted, and everything is well combined.
Serve your cheesy Rotel dip immediately.
Crock Pot Rotel Dip Instructions
I have a delicious Crockpot Rotel Dip recipe that combines beef and sausage that you may want to try. But you can also cook this recipe in your crockpot. It makes a great dip that you can double for when you’re serving a lot of people.
To make this easy dip recipe in your slow cooker, just brown the sausage and drain it. Throw it in the slow cooker with the other ingredients until the cheese has melted.
You can leave it on the warm setting while your guests are snacking. Make sure to give it a good stir ever so often to keep it from hardening around the edges of the cooker.
Easy Sausage Dip Recipe Substitution Options
- Sausage: We used a mild pork breakfast sausage, but you can use spicy sausage, ground beef, ground turkey, hot Italian sausage or even ground venison.
- Tomatoes: If you like extra spice, try using the hot Rotel tomatoes or for a smoky flavor you can use fire roasted Rotel.
- Creamy Rotel: Make cream cheese sausage dip by adding in a block of cream cheese with the Veletta or in place of it.
- Mexican Style: Give this dip a fiesta of flavor by adding in a can of drained, whole kernel corn, rinsed black beans and taco seasoning. It has so much flavor!
- Veggie Rotel: Skip the meat and add sautéed bell peppers and onions. You can even add black beans and corn if you prefer.
- Extra Mild Dip: If the green chiles are too spicy for the kiddos, you can use regular petite diced tomatoes.
What are Rotel Tomatoes?
Rotel is a brand name of canned tomatoes. According to the Ro-tel webite, “The original Texas family recipe is made with a signature blend of vine-ripened tomatoes and zesty green chilies and a savory mixture of secret spices.”
Are You Supposed to Drain Rotel?
For a thicker dip, it’s recommended that you drain the tomatoes before adding them to the cheese. If you want a looser sauce-consistency you can add the juice with the diced tomatoes.
How Long is Rotel Dip with Sausage Good For?
When stored in the fridge in an airtight container sausage rotel will stay fresh for 3-4 days. Without the sausage, the cheese dip can last up to 5-7 days.
Can You Freeze Rotel Sausage Dip
While you can freeze cheese dip, the quality might not be the same as how it was when it was fresh. If you’re going to try and freeze it, add it to a freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to a couple of months.
How Do You Keep Rotel Dip from Hardening?
Veletta cheese dip gets hard as it cools. To prevent it from getting hard, keep it on a warm setting, either in a crockpot or stove top while serving. Once it has chilled in the fridge, you can soften it back up simply by reheating it.
More Tasty Appetizer Recipes
- Brown Sugar Bacon Wrapped Chicken Bites
- Philly Cheesesteak Jalapeño Poppers
- Hawaiian Ham and Cheese Sliders
- Pretzel Bites
- Zesty Ranch Ritz Crackers
- 7-Layer Dip
- Crockpot Smokies
- 16 ounces Velveeta cheese
- 1 pound sausage
- 10 ounces Rotel tomatoes 1 can, drained
- To a large skillet, add your sausage.
- Cook and brown sausage completely, drain off any grease.
- Return the sausage to the pan.
- Add Rotel and Velveeta. Stir to combine.
- Cook on low, until cheese is melted and everything is well combined.
- Serve immediately.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don’t forget to share it with me on @thebalancingmom and follow on Tiktok @balancingmotherhood and Pinterest @thebalancingmom for more!
What's For Dinner?
Find a recipe for dinner tonight! Get our Top 10 Most Popular recipes ebook sent right to your email.
Comments & Reviews
Also good mixed with Chili, Velvetta