Pimento Cheese is a southern classic as it combines cream cheese, mayonnaise, sharp cheddar cheese, pimentos, and amazing seasonings for an incredibly easy and delicious dip that everyone will love.
If you have ever been to the south or live in the south you will know just how much they love Pimento Cheese. There is something about the creamy textures that the cream cheese and the mayonnaise make in this dish that is simply irresistible. Top that on top of the sharp cheddar cheese with the chunks of Pimentos and it is heavenly! A must-try dish no matter what your mood!
PERFECT FOR PARTIES
Y’all know I love creating delicious dips that are perfect for parties like our easy beer cheese pretzel dip and our cowboy caviar. So last weekend when we were having a small family gathering I wanted to create a dip that was out of this world that both kids and adults love! Meet Pimento Cheese, the most creamy delicious dip of all time!
WHY I LOVE THIS PIMENTO CHEESE DIP
This is by far my favorite Pimento cheese dip! I love the added Worcheshire sauce and mustard that you don’t see in other dishes. These two flavors help create an even more flavorful pimento cheese.
I love that I can make this dip in the morning and serve it later in the day or that evening and that it’s so versatile.
And, you can serve it as a dip or a sandwich. The possibilities are endless when it comes to pimento cheese.
PIMENTO CHEESE RECIPE INGREDIENTS
- Cream cheese- When making this Pimento cheese recipe be sure you use full-fat cream cheese. This helps the dip be more creamy and delicious. When making this dip be sure to let your cream cheese soften prior to trying to mix it.
- Mayonnaise- Mayonnaise combined with the cream cheese is the base of the dip. Grab your favorite mayo to help create that silky texture.
- Garlic Powder- Garlic powder gives Pimento cheese dip the garlic flavor we love without actual pieces of garlic. Do not omit these tasty seasoning.
- Onion powder- Onion powder gives this dish the onion flavor without the pieces of onions. It makes the flavor really pop!
- Pimentos- You can’t have a Pimento cheese dip without Pimentos! Grab some pimentos in the produce section. Sometimes these are referred to as cherry peppers.
- Worcestershire sauce- Worcestershire sauce adds in a bit more flavor to this dish for an increase in flavor you will love.
- Yellow Mustard- Yellow mustard is another ingredient you don’t want to miss with Pimento cheese. This really helps pull it all together and go wow!
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese- Use sharp cheese with this recipe. Be sure you buy a block of sharp cheese and shred it yourself. Pre shredded cheddar cheese has a powder coating which makes it not mix in as well.
- Salt and Pepper- salt and pepper add so much flavor to the dish. Often forgotten by many cooks, but it is always my secret ingredient. Don’t forget to add it to this!
HOW TO MAKE THIS PIMENTO CHEESE RECIPE
Making Pimento cheese is simple, but yet so delicious. With just a few basic steps you will have a great dip ready to go in a matter of minutes!
- Mix together cream cheese, mayonnaise, garlic powder, onion, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and salt and pepper using a stand mixer or hand mixer. You can also mix by hand, but make sure ingredients are incorporated fully.
- Dice your pimento peppers.
- Grate sharp cheddar cheese.
- Add the cheddar cheese and pimento.
- Mix gently to incorporate.
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR MAKING PIMENTO CHEESE
- If you want to make a smoother texture, you can add the cheese and the pimentos at the same time as the other ingredients. You will want to mix all this until smooth.
- Want to spice up your Pimento Cheese? Don’t be afraid to add a little bit of cayenne pepper or even some diced jalapenos to increase the spiciness of it.
- If you are short on time and forget to pull your cream cheese out ahead of time, go ahead and cut in cubes and put it in a microwave-safe bowl for 15 seconds at a time. You want to make it so it is mixable, but not melted.
- For even more flavor, store in the fridge for at least 2 hours prior to serving. I like to keep it in there overnight!
And, let me tell you a little secret here. If you don’t like pimentos don’t let that stop you from making this dip. You can leave the pimentos out and just have an amazing cheese dip!
HOW CAN I SERVE PIMENTO CHEESE?
Pimento cheese can be served in a variety of different ways. I love to serve it with
- Buttery round crackers (like Ritz)
- Bagel chips
ARE PIMENTO PEPPERS SPICY?
Pimento peppers are not spicy. They are packed with lots of flavor, but not with spice.
WHAT IF I CAN’T FIND PIMENTO PEPPERS?
Pimento peppers are in the produce section of most grocery stores. Sometimes they are referred to as cherry peppers. If you can’t find pimentos you can substitute them for red peppers for a close texture and flavor.
Another alternative is you can get a jar of pimento peppers. You will just want to make sure you cut these up prior to mixing into the cheese.
CAN I MAKE PIMENTO CHEESE AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes, you certainly can make pimento cheese ahead of time, in fact, I recommend it! I love to make this at least 2 hours ahead of time and let it sit in the fridge. This helps the flavors really come together making it such a delicious southern dish.
HOW TO STORE PIMENTO CHEESE
You can easily store Pimento cheese in the fridge. Store your cheese in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
CAN I FREEZE PIMENTO CHEESE?
I do not recommend freezing Pimento cheese. The mayonnaise starts to separating from the cheese really altering the flavor of the dish.
LOOKING FOR MORE GREAT DIPS? CHECK THESE OUT
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 oz. diced pimentos
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 2 cups sharp Cheddar cheese shredded
- salt and black pepper to taste
- In large bowl, mix cream cheese, mayonnaise, garlic powder, onion, worcestershire sauce, mustard and salt and pepper using a stand mixer or hand mixer. You can also mix by hand, but make sure ingredients are incorporated fully.
- Add the cheddar cheese and pimento and mix gently to incorporate. (By waiting to add the cheddar cheese and pimento, you’ll see bigger chunks.)
12 Days of Cookies!
Get 12 AMAZING Christmas cookie recipes in your email!