This strawberry puppy chow is an incredibly delicious sweet snack mix that’s perfect for your Valentine’s Day festivities. Crunchy Rice Chex cereal is coated in creamy white chocolate, then tossed with a mixture of powdered sugar, strawberry cake mix, pink and white M&Ms, and Valentine’s sprinkles for a crunchy and sweet treat that you won’t want to put down.
Although traditional puppy chow (also called muddy buddies) is made with dark chocolate and peanut butter, this white chocolate strawberry version is a delicious twist on the classic recipe.
The strawberry and white chocolate combination is rich and delicious and the pretty pink and white colors make this a perfect indulgent dessert for Valentine’s Day. Perfect to serve at a party, give as a gift, or surprise the family with a fun snack, this easy and festive mix will make your Valentine’s Day extra sweet.
💗 Why We Love This Recipe
- This puppy chow recipe is an easy no-bake treat that doesn’t require any special kitchen tools or ingredients.
- The festive colors and strawberry white chocolate flavor make this a fun Valentine’s day snack or dessert.
- Puppy chow is especially popular with kids – and they love helping with shaking the bag to coat the cereal with the sugar mixture.
- There are so many great variations on this recipe. You can change the type of cake mix, the chocolate coating, or the sprinkles and M&M varieties for all kinds of different occasions.
- This tasty treat is always a huge hit at parties. The crunchy, creamy, and sweet combination makes it the perfect snack.
Special Tools Used in this Recipe
- Zip top bag
- Microwave-safe bowl
- Square rice cereal (Rice Chex or Corn Chex)
- White almond bark
- Strawberry cake mix
- Powdered sugar
- Valentine sprinkles
- Valentine M&Ms
🥄 How to Make Strawberry Puppy Chow
Step One: Prepare the Cereal Mix
- Place the cereal in a large bowl.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the almond bark in 30 second increments, stirring well in between each, until melted and smooth.
- Pour the melted almond bark over the cereal and stir gently until all the cereal is coated.
- Divide the coated cereal between two Ziploc gallon bags.
Step Two: Add the Strawberry Coating
- Add half the powdered sugar to one bag and the rest to the other bag.
- Divide the cake mix in half and add half to each of the bags.
- Add your desired amount of sprinkles and M&Ms to each bag.
- Zip the bags and shake the mixture until all the cereal is coated with the sugar and cake mix.
Tips and Suggestions
- Make sure your cereal is thoroughly covered in the powdered sugar mixture. If needed, you can add extra to ensure that all of the mix is completely coated.
- Don’t overmix – you don’t want to crush the cereal, and it’s fine if you have some pieces that stick together and form chunks – in fact, some people think that’s the best part!
- Once coated with the powdered sugar, spread the mixture out on a baking sheet to allow the melted chocolate to set before serving. You can also place it in the freezer for a few minutes to speed up this process.
- If you prefer, you can use a double boiler to melt the chocolate, instead of heating it in the microwave.
- You can use any flavor of cake mix you prefer in place of the strawberry. Lemon, orange and vanilla would all be delicious with the white chocolate.
- You can use white, dark, or milk chocolate chips in place of the almond bark. Pink or red candy melts would also work.
- Change the sprinkles and M&M colors for different holidays and occasions.
- Add great texture and flavor to the mix by tossing in some nuts, marshmallows, or freeze-dried strawberries.
How Do I Store Strawberry Puppy Chow?
Store any leftover mix in an airtight container. It will keep for up to a week at room temperature or up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Can I Freeze Strawberry Puppy Chow?
Yes, keep it in an airtight container, a zip top bag, or a freezer bag, and you can enjoy this mix right out of the freezer. It should keep for up to 3 months.
More Puppy Chow Recipes
Strawberry Puppy Chow
- 10 cups square rice cereal
- 1 pound white almond bark
- 3/4 cup strawberry cake mix
- 1/2 cup powdered suger
- Valentines Sprinkles
- Valentines M&Ms
- In a large bowl place all your cereal in.
- In a microwave safe bowl melt your almond bark in 30 second intervals until all melted and smooth.
- Pour the almond bark over the cereal and gently stir until all the cereal is coated.
- Place the coated cereal in one very large ziploc bag or 2 gallon bags.
- Sprinkle half the powdered sugar in one bag and the other half in the other bag.
- Split the cake mix between the two bag as well.
- Pour your desired amount of sprinkles and M&Ms in each bag.
- Zip the bags up and shake around until all the cereal is coated with the sugar and cake mix.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don’t forget to share it with me on @thebalancingmom and follow on Tiktok @balancingmotherhood and Pinterest @thebalancingmom for more!
What's For Dinner?
Find a recipe for dinner tonight! Get our Top 10 Most Popular recipes ebook sent right to your email.
Leave a Review!