This site contains affiliate links. Please see Disclosure Policies for more information.
These cute patriotic cookie cups couldn’t be easier and are fun dessert to celebrate all the summer holidays! Use pre-made sugar cookie dough and frosting for a quick and easy treat.
Patriotic Sugar Cookie Cups
Get the kids involved in this easy dessert. They can practically make the entire thing with just a little supervision with the oven.
Everyone loves these soft and chewy sugar cookies and when they’re topped with cream frosting and colorful sprinkles, they’re irresistible.
You might also like our chocolate mint cookie cups.
- 16 ounce package of pre-cut sugar cookie dough, 24 count. We used the break-apart dough you can find in the refrigerator section. You can also use the slice and bake kind or make your own from scratch dough
- 8 ounces vanilla frosting – we used a store-bought frosting and a piping bag.
- blue food coloring – we used 11 drops. If you want a deeper blue then we suggest using a gel food coloring
- Red, white, and blue stars and stripes sprinkle mix
- mini muffin tin
- Wilton 1M star piping tip and piping bag
Break apart the sugar cookies, bake, and decorate.
Spray a mini muffin tin with cookie spray and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Step One: Bake Sugar Cookies
- Break apart the sugar cookie dough placing dough in each section of the muffin tin.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until just golden brown. Don’t over bake.
- As soon as you remove them from the oven and place the muffin tin on a wire rack to cool. While they are cooling the middles will cave in. Let cool completely.
Step Two: Color the Frosting
- While the cookies are cooling, prepare the frosting. We used a vanilla frosting and colored it blue with drops of blue food coloring.
- Stir until you achieve your desired color and place frosting in a piping bag with a star tip.
Step Three: Decorate
- Pipe the frosting onto each cookie sup and top with sprinkles.
Suggestions and Alternatives
- Swap out the colors of icing and sprinkles for different holidays.
- Buy pre-made frosting in a tube so you don’t have to color it or use a piping bag.
More Fourth of July Recipes
- Red, White, and Blue Ice Cream
- Red, White, and Blue Marshmallow Bars
- Red, White, and Blue Snack Mix
- Red, White, and Blue Brownie Cookies
- Red, White, and Blue Cookie Bars
- Red, White, and Blue M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies
Patriotic Cookie Cups
- 16 oz package of pre cut sugar cookie dough 24 ct
- 8 oz vanilla frosting
- 11 drops blue food coloring
- Red white, and blue stars and stripes sprinkle
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- (optional) grease a mini muffin tin to make the cookies easier to slide out
- Put one piece of cookie dough into each of the 24 mini muffin tin cavities.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden.
- Remove from the oven and set on a cooling rack to cool. The center will form a crater once cooled.
- Once cooled, remove the cookies from the muffin tins and set them on a tray of baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Add frosting to the center crater of the cookie cups. You can do this using a spoon, or by using the star piping tip if you want them to look exactly like these ones.
- Top with sprinkles.
What's For Dinner?
Find a recipe for dinner tonight! Get our Top 10 Most Popular recipes ebook sent right to your email.