Truly one of the tastiest and most patriotic desserts, these Red White and Blue Marshmallow Bars only take five simple ingredients and five minutes prep time! They’ll make a fun and festive addition to your dessert table during your Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day celebrations!
Table of Contents
Chocolate Red White and Blue Marshmallow Bars
One of things we love most about the beginning of summer months is it kicks off several patriotic holidays. Celebrations with pool parties, stunning fireworks and back yard BBQs with friends and family are all part of the fun! But what’s a party without some of the best red, white and blue themed desserts, like 4th of July Rice Krispie Treats, this Red White and Blue Layered Jello and yummy little Patriotic Pretzel Bites.
This year, we’re adding a brand-new recipe to our dessert line up with these decadent Red White and Blue Chocolate Marshmallow Bars. The base is similar to the traditional recipe for rocky road fudge, but the addition of peanut butter just sends the flavors over the edge!
So, if you’re rocky road fudge fan, you are going flip over these no bake dessert bars! To top them off, fun red, white and blue M&M’s are added. while marshmallows are studded throughout the chocolatey peanut butter fudge base for an extra delicious touch!
Why We Love this Recipe
- They are a yummy dessert that doubles as a fun activity for the kids! They’ll have so much fun mixing up all the ingredients and adding the colorful M&M’s to the top of the bars.
- These dessert bars make great little gifts for party guests. Just wrap a few in clear cellophane bags and tie with red, white and blue ribbons.
- They are super versatile! The red, white and blue colors of the M&M’s make these a great treat for patriotic holidays. But you can easily change them up with M&Ms of different colors based on other holiday colors. Red and green at Christmas are always a hit.
- Microwave-safe large bowl
- Rubber spatula
- 9×13 baking dish
- Measuring cups
What’s Needed to Make M&M Marshmallow Bars
- Chocolate Chips
- Butterscotch Chips
- Creamy Peanut Butter
- Mini Marshmallows
- Red White and Blue M&Ms
How to Make Patriotic Chocolate Marshmallow Bars
Step One: Prepare the Pans
Line a 9×13 baking pan with parchment paper or line with aluminum foil and then butter the pan or use non stick cooking spray.
Step Two: Make the Base
Place chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and peanut butter in a large, microwave safe bowl and microwave on medium heat in 30 second increments, stirring after each, until completely melted and smooth.
Stove top – Place chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and peanut butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Stirring frequently heat until completely melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
Step Three: Add Other Ingredients
Add in marshmallow and stir until the marshmallows are evenly coated.
Using a rubber spatula, spread the chocolate marshmallow mixture into your prepared pan.
Sprinkle with M&M’s
Step Four: Chill and Serve
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Remove from refrigerator and allow to sit for about 10 minutes before cutting. Cut into 24 squares and serve.
Variations of Red White and Blue Marshmallow Chocolate Bars
- You could easily make these into red, white and blue rice krispie treats by substituting 2 cups of marshmallows with 2 cups of rice krispies cereal.
- For added crunch and texture, add in a cup of chopped nuts. Pecans and walnuts are great choices! You can also add a little bit of toasted coconut flakes or pretzel pieces.
- Add some red, white and blue sprinkles to the top while the mixture is still melted. You can even use sprinkles that include little red and blue stars for a really cute added touch.
- Instead of making these into thick fudge like bars, you can spread the chocolate mixture out onto a baking sheet pan. When it’s dry, you can cut them up into thinner slices similar to chocolate bark.
- For an even more festive treat, melt some red candy melts or blue candy melts and drizzle over the top of the no bake treats after they have set up.
How Do I Store These Red White and Blue Dessert Bars?
They are best stored in the fridge, but you can leave these marshmallow bars out at room temperature for a while as long as you are indoors.
If you are taking them to outdoor summer celebrations, you’ll want to keep them in the fridge until right before serving them to prevent them from melting too quickly.
Can You Freeze Marshmallow Bars?
You sure can! Just take the leftover bars and wrap them tightly with a double layer of plastic wrap and then with another layer of foil. They should freeze well for up to 3-4 months.
To thaw, place them in the fridge overnight.
How Long Do Marshmallow Dessert Bars Last?
If stored as instructed above, the bars should last for up to a week in the fridge. If the chocolate begins to have moisture build up on top of them, that is a sign they are past the prime time of eating them.
Want More Easy Dessert Bar Recipes?
- Lemon Shortbread Bars
- Chocolate Covered S’mores Bars
- Frosted Maple Cookie Bars
- Homemade Granola Bars
- No Bake Peanut Butter Bars
- Funfetti Sugar Cookie Bars
Red, White, and Blue Marshmallow Bars
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- 11 ounces butterscotch chips
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 10 ounces mini marshmallows
- 1 cup M&M’s
- Line a 9×13 baking pan with non-stick foil or line with aluminum foil and then butter the pan.
- Place chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and peanut butter in a large, microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second increments, stirring after each, until completely melted and smooth.
- Stove top- Place chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and peanut butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Stirring frequently heat until completely melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
- Add in marshmallow and stir until the marshmallows are evenly coated.
- Spread the mixture into your prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with M&M’s
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator and allow to sit for about 10 minutes before cutting. Cut into 24 squares and serve.
- Keep any leftover in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
What’s For Dinner?
Find a recipe for dinner tonight! Get our Top 10 Most Popular recipes ebook sent right to your email.