This site contains affiliate links. Please see Disclosure Policies for more information.
This simple Spaghetti Pie is my go-to comfort food recipe that is very easy to make to serve now or freeze for later. This Italian recipe is a combination of traditional spaghetti and lasagna without all the hassle of lasagna. It’s filled with spaghetti noodles, a rich meat sauce and cheese mixture — all baked together into a pie.
Another great comfort food recipe is out tater tot casserole that’s filled with ground beef and a creamy mushroom sauce, topped with golden tater tots.
There is something about these simple comfort foods that just make me get all the feels of my childhood that I want to continue to share with my family.
These are the foods that no matter what make everything okay!
SPAGHETTI PIE RECIPE
This Spaghetti Pie Recipe is the perfect recipe to add to your own collection of comfort foods. You will find that the ingredients are simple and ones that you most likely have on hand. This dish is the perfect dish to double and make two dishes one to eat now and one to freeze for later. This also is the perfect recipe to make for a friend or neighbor.
SPAGHETTI PIE INGREDIENTS
Spaghetti Noodles- Spaghetti noodles make spaghetti pie exactly what it is. Be sure to choose the normal spaghetti noodles to make sure this dish cooks properly.
Butter- Butter helps keep the noodles from sticking together after boiling, so be sure to not skip this addition. You could substitute olive oil.
Parmesan Cheese- Parmesan cheese adds rich flavor and adds a salty savory flavor to the dish.
Egg- The egg addition does the same as the butter and helps keep the spaghetti noodles from baking completely together and getting hard.
Ground Beef- Be sure to opt for a leaner beef so you end up with less grease in your dish. If you want to sub the ground beef for some other meat you can, but it will change the flavor/texture a bit. Ground turkey, ground veal, ground venison are also great options.
Onion- A simple white onion will do, just dice it finely so you are not having to chew on big chunks. Some family members are not a fan of onions and this helps hide them!
Spaghetti Sauce- Pick your family’s favorite spaghetti sauce when making spaghetti pie. Any jar of flavors will do, or you can add your own homemade sauce to this spaghetti pie recipe.
Sugar- I love to add a touch of sugar to my spaghetti pit to give a bit of sweetness to the spaghetti sauce.
Oregano- Do not omit the Oregano. Oregano helps bring out the Italian seasoning of this dish.
Cottage Cheese- Cottage cheese helps give this dish a smooth texture without adding a strong flavor.
Mozzarella- Mozzarella cheese is the go-to cheese to use in any Italian dish because it has a soft, creamy texture and melts perfectly in this dish.
Salt- Putting salt in with the hamburger meat while cooking helps add flavor into the meat. Salt is a great addition to most comfort dishes.
Pepper- Adding pepper is the same as salt. Pepper adds flavor to the meat while cooking for a better bold meat flavor.
Parsley- Garnishing this spaghetti pie with parsley adds a pop of green and can give it a contrasting flavor.
HOW TO MAKE SPAGHETTI PIE
- Grab a large pot and cook your spaghetti noodles as directed on the box. Once you have cooked and drained mix butter, parmesan cheese, and egg in the noodles.
- Spray a springform pan very generously with cooking spray.
- Wrap the springform pan with foil to prevent leaks.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown your hamburger meat and add in your diced onions to your pan. Be sure to add salt and pepper to the meat while browning. Once you have completely cooked your meat drain and place back in the pan.
- Pour the spaghetti sauce over the cooked meat.
- Add sugar and oregano after you add the sauce to give it a bit of sweetness.
- Take a spoon and dollop the cottage cheese over the spaghetti layer and spread evenly.
- Top the pan with your meat mixture.
- Place the pan in the oven and set a timer for 35-40 minutes.
- After the timer has gone off add the mozzarella cheese to the top and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese is completely melted.
Garnish the top with parsley if desired.
TIPS AND NOTES FOR MAKING SPAGHETTI PIE
Wrap the outside of the springform pan with foil, this will prevent the dish from leaking in your oven. Be sure to place it on a baking sheet just in case it leaks so it doesn’t leak all over your oven.
You can use a deep-dish pie pan if you don’t have a springform pan.
This spaghetti pie recipe calls for ground beef, but if you have another ground meat on hand it will work well for this recipe. It will change the texture/ flavor a bit, but it will still have that classic comfort food you are looking for!
HOW TO SERVE SPAGHETTI PIE
Spaghetti pie can be served in wedges. As soon as you take the dish out of the oven take your knife and run around the edges. This will allow the pan to release the spaghetti pie. Once it has cooled enough to handle, slide it onto your cutting board and you can cut the spaghetti pie into wedges.
CAN I USE GROUND TURKEY MEAT?
Yes! You can substitute ground turkey meat instead of hamburger meat. You can still brown the turkey with onions for added flavor. You can also do half and half or substitute sausage for part of the ground beef. There’s no wrong answer with the protein in this recipe.
WHAT DO YOU SERVE WITH THIS DISH?
When it comes to deciding what to serve with spaghetti pie you do not have to serve anything however try adding:
- a side or Cesar salad
- chopped fresh fruit that is in season
CAN SPAGHETTI PIE BE MADE AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes! You can assemble the recipe as instructed and not bake it until you are ready to serve. Just wrap the pan with foil and place in the fridge until you are ready to bake and serve.
CAN SPAGHETTI PIE BE FROZEN?
Spaghetti Pie can indeed be frozen. This is the perfect comfort food dish to double the recipe and freeze a meal for later when you are not feeling the best or staring in your fridge at 6 PM wondering what is for dinner?
LOOKING FOR OTHER GREAT COMFORT FOOD RECIPES? CHECK THESE OUT!
- 16 oz. spaghetti broken in 2-inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp. Butter softened
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion chopped
- 24 oz. Spaghetti sauce
- 1 tsp. Sugar
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 lb. cottage cheese small curd
- 12 oz. mozzarella shredded
- Salt and pepper
- parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook spaghetti, drain
- Mix with butter, parmesan cheese and egg
- Spread into springform pan (generously greased). Wrap the outside with foil to prevent leaks
- Brown ground beef and onion, drain.
- Add spaghetti sauce, sugar and oregano, salt and pepper
- Spread cottage cheese over spaghetti layer
- Top with meat mixture
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes
- Add mozzarella and bake 10 additional minutes or until cheese is melted