Tuna noodle casserole is a classic homemade meal that is so easy to make with food from your pantry! Tuna is combined with egg noodles, vegetables, cheese, and cream of chicken soup base. Bake and top with buttery bread crumb topping for the perfect, bubbly comfort food.
Also try our tater tot casserole that’s bursting with ground beef in a creamy mushroom sauce, topped with golden tater tots.
Tuna Noodle Casserole Recipe
Tuna noodle casserole is one of our favorite comfort dishes in our home. Growing up I remember going to my grandma’s house and she would always make this tuna casserole recipe or a version of hamburger casserole. I would always get so excited when I knew we were having tuna noodle casserole because it was always my favorite.
I still love tuna noodle casserole, maybe even more so now that grandma has passed away. When I am in the kitchen preparing this simple meal, memories of my grandma flood into my thoughts. I love sharing those stories with my kids as we eat this classic comfort dish.
TUNA NOODLE CASSEROLE
There is nothing quite like tuna noodle casserole. With just basic pantry ingredients you are able to feed your family on this comfort dish that will leave them full and happy.
TUNA CASSEROLE RECIPE INGREDIENTS
Cream of chicken soup- Cream of chicken soup helps create a flavorful base for this recipe.
Milk- I like to use milk because it helps add a thickening agent to the casserole and also adds a touch of flavor. I love to use whole milk, but you can use any milk you have on hand.
Cans of Tuna- I prefer to use cans of tuna that are packaged with water. When you use cans that are full of water it will give this classic tuna noodle casserole more of a mild flavor. A secret to using canned tuna is to rinse the tuna several times before using it. This helps eliminate the tin flavor you might taste from the can.
Egg Noodles- Egg noodles are the ideal noodle for tuna casserole. You can use any other noodles or shapes but egg noodles are my favorite for the look it gives this dish and they are what grandma used.
Frozen Peas- Peas are a great addition to this dish giving it a pop of color and more nutritious value.
White Onion- The white onion has a thinner skin than other onions and are used as a thickening agent in this recipe, so be sure to use the white onion.
Bread Crumbs- Bread crumbs help add texture topping with a crunch. If you don’t have bread crumbs you can leave some pieces of bread on the counter and allow them to get stale and then crumble them on the top.
Cheddar Cheese- Cheese adds the cheesy comfort food to this recipe. You do not have to use it if you are not a cheese fan or trying to limit your dairy intake.
Butter- use butter to enhance the flavors and help complement the other ingredients.
Salt- Salt enhances the flavors of all the other ingredients. Salt is the number 1 underused spice, but it adds so much flavor to every dish.
Pepper- Pepper is a spice that adds great seasoning and the most used spice in the world so go ahead and be generous when using pepper in this classic tuna noodle casserole.
HOW TO MAKE TUNA CASSEROLE RECIPE
This tuna noodle casserole recipe is so easy to make. Here is how to make it:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare your egg noodles per the instructions on the package.
- Once cooked, drain and set aside.
- While the noodles are boiling, chop the onion and set aside.
- Grab a large mixing bowl and thoroughly whisk together the cream of chicken soup, and milk.
- Spray your 9×9 casserole dish with cooking spray and add your cooked noodles, frozen peas, drained tuna cans, cheese, onions, and seasoning.
- Pour your soup mixture over the cooked noodles, frozen peas, tuna, cheese, and onions.
- Stir it all together gently folding all the ingredients together.
- Bake your tuna noodle casserole dish.
- While the Tuna Casserole is cooking take the bread crumbs and combine with the melted butter. Once the casserole has baked pull it out of the oven and sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture on top and place back in the oven for 5 minutes.
TIPS AND NOTES FOR MAKING TUNA CASSEROLE RECIPE
- It may be best to cook your noodles al dente since they will continue cooking while baking in the tuna casserole dish.
- Be sure to drain and rinse noodles after cooking.
- If you would rather use frozen broccoli than peas it will not alter the taste.
- This tuna noodle casserole dish can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days.
HOW LONG DO YOU BAKE TUNA CASSEROLE RECIPE?
This classic tuna noodle casserole takes a total of 25 minutes to bake. When baking your casserole you will cook it for 20 minutes then add the bread crumbs and cook it for an additional 5 minutes. You want to watch it carefully to make sure the breadcrumbs do not burn.
WHAT CAN YOU EAT WITH TUNA CASSEROLE RECIPE?
I love the fact that tuna casserole recipe is a meal by itself or if you want to add a vegetable to serve with this you can. Try serving it with:
- Green beans
- Side salad
- Cesar salad
CAN I MAKE TUNA CASSEROLE RECIPE AHEAD OF TIME
Yes! You can absolutely make tuna casserole recipe ahead of time. It is super easy to mix ahead and bake later.
Just make sure you allow time for your noodles to boil if you are trying to make it ahead to bake later.
HOW TO FREEZE TUNA CASSEROLE RECIPE
You can easily freeze a tuna casserole recipe before or after it is baked. Be sure you have properly wrapped the dish before freezing. If the casserole is already baked be sure to let it cool completely before placing it in the freezer.
If you freeze the casserole to bake later, it is important to let the casserole completely thaw before baking so you do not overcook it.
It also helps the casserole bake evenly when it is completely thawed. I suggest putting it in the fridge the night before to letting it thaw.
Looking for Other Great Casserole dishes? Check out these recipes!
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2, 5 oz cans tuna in water drained
- 4 oz. egg noodles
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 small white onion diced
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 tbsp butter melted
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Preheat oven to 350
- Prepare egg noodles according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Chop onion and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl stir together soup and milk. Whisk to combine.
- Spray 9x9 casserole dish and add cooked egg noodles, frozen peas, tuna (drained), cheese, onions and seasonings and then pour in the soup mixture.
- Stir to combine.
- Put in oven and cook for 20 minutes.
- While the tuna casserole is in the oven, mix together bread crumbs and melted butter. After 20 minutes, sprinkle bread crumbs on top of the casserole and bake for 5 minutes longer until bread crumbs are golden brown.
Hot Chocolate Bombs Gift Tags
Get these cute Hot Chocolate Bomb Gift Tags!