If you like using ground beef for meals, you have to try our easy hamburger soup recipe.
This is classic comfort food at it’s best. This hamburger casserole is a one-dish meal that combines protein, noodles, and vegetables. Mix is all in one casserole dish, pop it in the oven and dinner’s ready!
I love recipes like this that contains protein, vegetables, and starch all in one. We love to serve this dish when we have guests over for dinner because it’s so easy and you just add some french bread or a salad and it’s an entire meal.
Hamburger Casserole Ingredients
egg noodles — technically you can use any noodle, but I like to use wide egg noodles. There’s something about a good egg noodle that makes the dish seem fancier. Of course, you could easily substitute elbow macaroni or another pasta.
ground beef – use lean ground beef to ensure less grease in the prepared dish
onion – a small white onion works best. Just dice it into small pieces so you don’t have large onion chunks in the finished casserole
frozen veggies – I like to stick to peas, carrots, and corn, but you can literally add any frozen veggies in this dish. You may need to buy a bag of peas and carrots, and a separate bag of corn if you can’t find the right combo at the store. It doesn’t matter as long as the measurement is still 1 cup.
seasonings – don’t skimp on the seasonings. You’ll get the best flavor if you use garlic, Italian seasonings, salt, and pepper
tomato sauce and diced tomatoes – this brings some liquid to the casserole and adds tons of flavor
cheese – some recipes use mozzarella cheese, but I like to use cheddar with ground beef, unless I’m making an Italian dish. You can totally leave the cheese out of this recipe if you’d prefer to have just the hamburger and noodles.
How to Make Hamburger Casserole
Hamburger casserole is so easy to make. It starts with ground beef (which is also known as hamburger meat!), onions, and seasonings.
- Start by cooking the pasta and draining the water. It’s good to have it al dente so it doesn’t overcook when you bake it.
- Cook the ground beef in a skillet with the onion. Drain any excess fat.
- Add in seasonings to the cooked beef and stir.
- Next, add in the veggies and tomatoes and sauce. Mix it all together.
- Combine the noodles and meat mixture and put in casserole dish and bake.
- Just before it’s done top with breadcrumbs and butter and bake until golden brown.
How Long do you Bake Hamburger Casserole?
Typically it cooks at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes. Be sure you know your oven temperatures. You may need to cook a little longer if your temp is off. But the good news is that all the items are fully cooked before you bake the dish, so the oven is just allowing the ingredients to mix together, and the sauce is going to penetrate into the noodles.
Put the remaining cheese on top and bake for another 5 minutes to let the cheese get bubbly on the top of the casserole.
Can You Freeze Hamburger Casserole?
Yes, you can freeze this casserole dish, but be mindful that pasta casseroles can tend to get mushy if frozen too long.
What Can You Eat with this Casserole?
This meal has so much in it that it really is a meal all in itself which is why it’s perfect for busy families. We like to pair it with
- french bread
- garden salad
Want More Comfort Food Recipes?
- 6 oz. package egg noodles
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 cup frozen vegetables (peas, carrots and corn)
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded and divided
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cook egg noodles according to directions and set aside.
- Cook the ground beef and onion over medium heat until meat is brown. Drain grease from pan.
- Add garlic and Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Add tomato sauce and diced tomatoes and frozen vegetables into the skillet, mix to combine.
- Simmer meat mixture for 3 minutes, continuing to stir
- Combine meat mixture, noodles, and 1 cup of the shredded cheese and mix to combine. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheese or breadcrumbs mixed with melted butter and bake for 23-25 minutes in the oven, until the casserole is heated through.