Tater Tot casserole recipe is perfect comfort food and entire meal all in one! This tasty dish is full of incredible flavors that make it a delicious meal any day of the week. It combines ground beef, cheese, vegetables, and is topped with crispy golden tater tots. It’s sure to become a family favorite.
If you like easy casserole dishes you’ll love our popular hamburger casserole.
Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
I love the crispy outside and tender insides of a good tater tot and love to serve them with hamburgers, hot dogs, and other meat meals. This tater tot casserole combines all our favorites into one hearty meal!
This casserole is a real time saver on a busy night. I like this make this a day ahead and just warm it up on one of the nights we’re busy with after-school activities. It’s perfect since all the protein, vegetables, and starch are all combined into one dish. Clean up is a cinch too!
Another thing to love about this recipe is that it’s easy to whip up at the last minute if you keep the ingredients on hand. Since most can be kept in the freezer, you can have dinner ready in no time.
ground beef – chose a lean version so you’ll have less grease in the overall casserole
green beans and corn – a great way to get veggies in your dinner. These can be fresh or canned. Just drain the water from the cans.
garlic, salt and pepper – these are the main seasonings.
milk and cream of mushroom soup – blend these together and pour on top of the beef. This will give a creamy base and keep the ground beef moist as it bakes.
worcestershire – this will add a rich and robust flavor to the casserole
cheddar cheese – you put the cheese IN the casserole to add a gooey layer, but also sprinkled on top of the tater tots
tater tots – these crispy potato nuggets are perfect for this recipe because they are so easy to use. Just line them on top of the casserole before baking and you’ll have golden perfection when it’s done baking
How to Make Tater Tot Casserole
Making tater tot casserole is pretty easy. The only thing you cook is the beef. The rest is assembly.
- After you brown the ground beef and onion, add in the seasonings and worcestershire sauce. Spread the ground beef mixture in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
- Next, mix the milk and cream of mushroom soup. Use a whisk so you get all the lumps out of the soup. Pour this on top of the ground beef.
- Continue the layers, adding the corn and green beans.
- Next you’ll add half of the shredded cheddar cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Finally, top with rows of tater tots. Make sure the tater tots are flat so they cook evenly.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the tater tots are golden brown. Top with the remaining cheddar cheese and put back in the oven to melt the cheese – about 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- Skim grease from ground beef before you place it in the baking dish.
- Use a whisk to make sure the milk and cream of mushroom soup are combined and there are no lumps.
- Season each layer with salt and pepper for the best flavor
What Sides Go With Tater Tot Casserole?
A side salad is the perfect side dish to this casserole recipe since it’s already filled with veggies and potatoes.
Can You Freeze Tater Tot Casserole?
Yes, you can freeze a tater tot casserole. It’s best to make it and freeze before cooking in the oven. When you are read to cook it, just thaw the casserole in the refrigerator overnight. Then, bake as directed.
How Do You Reheat Tater Tot Casserole in The Oven?
To warm up your tater tot casserole recipe, you’ll need to heat it in the oven at 350 for about 20-30 minutes. You can also heat any leftovers in the microwave for 1-2 minutes per slice. Note that if you use the microwave, the tater tots won’t recrisp.
Where Did Tater Tot Casserole Come From?
This casserole recipe is popular in the midwest where it was named “hotdish.”
Want More Comfort Food Recipes?
- 1 lb ground beef lean
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 32 oz. tater tots frozen
- 10 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded and divided
- 15.2 oz can corn drained
- 15.2 oz can green beans drained
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Grease 9 x 13 baking dish and set aside.
- In medium frying pan, add beef and chopped onion and cook until beef is brown. Drain excess grease.
- Add garlic, salt, pepper, and worcestershire sauce and mix together.
- Pour meat mixture in bottom of baking dish.
- In small mixing bowl, combine cream of mushroom soup and milk and whisk together until combined and smooth.
- Top beef with soup mixture, green beans, corn, and 1/2 of the cheddar cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top with an even layer of tater tots.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Top with remaining cheddar cheese and cook for 5 more minutes until cheese is melted.
- Serve warm.
Subscribe and download your FREE Easy Canned Biscuit Recipe ebook!