This post contains brownies and black beans in the same sentence. These black bean brownies are amazing. Seriously, they are really moist and flavorful brownies. You’ve got to try them. Even my kids ate them knowing they had beans in them.
Black Bean Brownies
They look just like regular brownies. If you never told a soul they had beans in them, they’d never guess. Really.
Black Bean Brownies Ingredients
- black beans (drained and rinsed) – canned is fine
- chocolate chips
- cocoa powder
- instant coffee
Don’t leave out the instant coffee. This is what really boosts the chocolate flavor, which helps cover the beans.
I used a food processor, but many times I just my blender. Just depends on what kitchen equipment you have. Either way, it’s so easy to make these black bean brownies — it’s a one bowl method and you have less to clean up!
Be sure to rinse the beans, then just place them in the blender or food processor.
The cocoa needs to be sifted. Cocoa typically is clumpy, so you need to do a quick sift and it will look like light brown powdered sugar. You’ll also be adding flour, sugar, baking powder, instant coffee (to enrich the chocolate flavor), and the other ingredients.
One square pan creates about a dozen perfectly sized little brownies. Bigger than a bite, but small enough that you don’t feel guilty.
I like to use parchment in the pan to make for easy brownie removal, but it’s optional. Plus, it makes for less to clean at the end.
I cooled them on a wire rack and kept the dog away from the kitchen so she wouldn’t snarf them up. These babies didn’t last long!
The neighborhood kids saw what I was making and were eyeballing these sweets. I gave them each one in a baggie, saying to take it home and ask their parents if they could have it and to not eat it before dinner. Wouldn’t you know that eight-year-olds don’t have a whole lot of willpower! They started with “just a taste” and before I knew it, their baggies were empty.
These black bean brownies are dryer than a typical brownie which makes them not overly sweet. They are perfect with a glass of milk or cup of coffee!
Black Bean Brownies
- one can black beans
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 chocolate chips mini's work well
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease 9 x 9 square brownie pan
- Rinse beans in colander
- In blender or food processor puree beans and oil.
- Add eggs, cocoa, sugar, coffee, and vanilla. Pulse until blended.
- Melt half of the chocolate chips in microwave or over double boiler.
- Add melted chocolate to mixture and pulse to combine.
- In small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Combine wet mixture with dry mixture. You can put the dry mixture in the blender or food process or or just pour it into the dry mixture bowl and mix by hand.
- Stir in remaining chocolate chips.
- Pour mixture into baking pan.
- Bake 20 minutes at 350 or until the edges are done, but the middle is still shiny.
- Let cool 15 minutes.
- Cut and serve.
- Optional: top with a dusting of powdered sugar.
Amazing Chocolate Dessert Recipes!
Subscribe and download your FREE chocolate dessert recipes ebook!