This site contains affiliate links. Please see Disclosure Policies for more information.
I haven’t made a cake in months — rare for me. I don’t know exactly why either, but it was high time I made something decadent and delicious for dessert. I didn’t have a celebration for this cake, I just wanted to make something delicious and beautiful.
This is the first one I made. It’s a rich layer with dark chocolate pieces, topped with an amazing mocha frosting. Both the cake and the frosting have coffee in them which I forgot about as we let the kids have a slice of this last night before bed. Lucky for us they still fell asleep!
To make four layers I baked two and cut them in half with a long, serrated bread knife.
There are special tools that help you cut cake layers evenly, but if you have a steady hand just put the cake layer on the counter, place the blade of the knife half-way down the side of the cake and saw it in half with back and forth motions of the knife. I go slow and adjust the knife if I realize that I’m cutting it wobbly. Wobbly, that’s a scientific baking term. With this cake it doesn’t really have to be exact.
I love the rough edges and purposely frosted it so that the icing would ooze (another baking term) out the sides.
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup hot brewed coffee
- 1 cup dark chocolate chopped into small pieces (or use chocolate chips)
- 2 sticks butter room temperature
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350
- Grease two 8 inch round baking pans
- Sift cocoa into bowl to remove clumps. Add the dry ingredients: flour baking soda, salt and sugar until combined
- Add eggs and sour cream, and vanilla and mix
- Add hot coffee and chocolate pieces. Mix. If using mixer, it's best to stir this last part by hand.
- Pour batter evenly into the 2 pans and bake for 25-32 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out dry
- Let cool and remove from pans
- Once cool, slice each cake in two so you have four layers
- Ice with Mocha frosting
- Mix butter and powdered sugar (one cup at a time)
- Add cocoa and salt
- Add vanilla and coffee
- Stir until combined. Use between 4-5 cups of powdered sugar to reach the desired consistency
Disclosure: I received sugar from Imperial Sugar for my participation in Choctoberfest. No compensation was received. Opinions are my own.