Salted Caramel Brownies
Brownies are great as they are, so how do you make a brownie better? There’s already chocolate in it. It’s already chewy. I decided to attempt to include a layer of salted caramel to throw a regular brownie over the edge — and boy did it turn out decadent!
These salted caramel brownies are rich and gooey. Don’t you just want to pick one up?
How to Make Salted Caramel Brownies
They really are easy to make.
Start by lining your brownie pan with parchment paper so they don’t stick to the sides. I opted to forgo the parchment the first time I made these brownies, and it didn’t go well. Learn from my mistake — tough it out (the parchment is hard to get to stay in place) and use parchment so these babies will pop out of the pan and you can eat them right away.
Next you have to unwrap all the caramels. This is a great task for the kiddos. Once they’re unwrapped you can pop them in a sauce pan with some evaporated milk and melt them until they’re creamy. Don’t forget to add the salt. This is an important step to take the brownies to the salted level! They are salted caramel brownies, after all!
Next you’ll make the brownie part of the recipe and pour half of the brownie mixture into the pan and bake it for 10 minutes. While it’s warm, pour over the caramel mixture and top with the remaining brownie batter. This is where you can get a bit creative and swirl the caramel into the brownie so you’ll have a pretty top. Pop it back in the oven for about 20 more minutes.
Let cool and cut into brownie bites!
Salted Caramel Brownies
- 10 or 11 oz. bag of caramels
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 10 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon teaspoon salt divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup chocolate chunks or chips
- Preheat oven to 350
- Prepare 9x9 baking pan. Line with parchment paper so it peeks over the sides of the pan. Spray with cooking spray
- Unwrap individual caramels
- Heat caramels and evaporated milk over medium heat. Stir until caramels are melted. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- In separate pot heat butter, sugar, cocoa, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir until mixture is combined, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the flour and chocolate pieces. Stir until well combined.
- Place half of the chocolate batter into the prepared baking pan, spreading evenly over the bottom of the pan.
- Put in oven for 10 minutes
- Pour caramel sauce on top of the baked bottom brownie layer you just cooked.
- Top with the remaining batter and spread -- or swirl caramel and brownie mixture together on top layer.
- Cook for 18-20 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool until pan is safe to put in refrigerator. Chill for at least one hour before cutting into squares.