Look at these lovely strawberries. No need to pay a fortune for chocolate-covered strawberries.
A few years ago a friend at my office had extra Godiva chocolate-covered strawberries. Yeah, I know, who has EXTRA Godiva chocolate-covered strawberries? But, really, he walked around the office handing them out. It must have been from an event. I took two gorgeous large strawberries home and gave them to my kids when I picked them up from school. Man, I was the best MOM ever that day!
But you don’t have to invest a fortune to have your own chocolate-covered strawberries. In fact, they couldn’t be simpler to make at home – and a ton cheaper!
You just need a few ingredients: some candy melts in pink, white and red, and some milk chocolate chips – plus a few sprinkles!
Just melt the candy melts in the microwave and spoon over the strawberries.
Do the same thing with the pink candy melts: melt in the microwave (be careful not to over bake the chocolate. It won’t look melted. Melt in 30 second intervals and stir after each interval until completely melted.)
I recommend that if you’re doing multiple colors is to strategize (yes, strategize in baking!). Decide what colors you want, then do the base colors in small batches, and the toppings next. You need to work fast before the chocolate solidifies.
Try milk chocolate chips for a traditional chocolate covered strawberry.
Dip strawberries into the melted chocolate and put on parchment or wax paper.
As soon as you put the strawberries on the wax paper, top with your choice of sprinkles. You can also drizzle another chocolate color on top of a strawberry that you dipped in another color: like this pink chocolate with milk chocolate drizzle. Or, do a color on color drizzle. You can really do anything combination you want. It’s a great job for the kids!
There isn’t a bad result!
Chocolate covered strawberry chocolate melt ingredients:
Wilton Dark Candy Cocoa Melts, 12-Ounce
Wilton 1911-1300 Candy Melts, Bright White
Wilton 1911-424 Candy Melts, 12-Ounce, Bright Pink
- 1 dozen strawberries
- ¼ cup chocolate chips or dark cocoa melts
- ¼ cup white chocolate melts
- ¼ cup pink chocolate melts
- Assorted sprinkles
- Line baking sheet with wax or parchment paper and set aside.
- Rinse strawberries and dry completely. Place in refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, microwave the semi-sweet chocolate chips for 45 seconds. Stir until completely melted and smooth. Do not overcook. Chocolate won't look melted until you stir it.
- Dip 3 strawberries into the melted chocolate, covering completely except for the stem. Place on the lined baking sheet, and add alternate colored chocolate drizzle and sprinkles.
- Repeat with the white and pink chocolate melts and remaining strawberries.
- Drizzle: Using spoon, drizzle alternate colored chocolate onto chocolate-covered strawberries (ex. dip strawberry in white chocolate, drizzle with pink chocolate, add sprinkles). Decorate the strawberries with semi sweet, white or bright pink chocolate drizzle and sprinkles.
- Place the chocolate coated strawberries in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to allow the chocolates to harden.
- Store in an airtight container, in a single layer, in the refrigerator up to 3 days until ready to serve.
FREE Christmas Planner!
Subscribe and download your FREE Christmas planner! 8 pages to plan your menu, shopping, gifts, and thank you! All in one place.