This Shamrock Shake is the perfect copycat recipe that tastes just like the real green milkshakes from McDonald’s. It has creamy vanilla ice cream, milk, and a hint of mint flavor all colored green for St. Patrick’s Day. It’s a great way to celebrate spring.
You can celebrate with some of our Lucky Charms Muddy Buddies too!
Copycat McDonald’s Shamrock Shake
The Shamrock Shake is a popular milkshake on the McDonald’s menu during the month of March for St. Patrick’s Day. The fast food giant created this fun shake with it’s iconic green color as a fun treat to celebrate the end of winter!
And, it’s easy – oh so easy to make a homemade Shamrock shake.
💗 Why We Love This Recipe
- This Shamrock Shake recipe can be made in under 5 minutes!
- It’s a simple and delicious dessert
- Just a few simple ingredients are needed
You might also like our fun Fruity Pebbles Milkshake.
🥄 Tools Needed
What’s Needed to Make a Shamrock Shake?
What’s Needed to Make a Shamrock Shake?
You just need a few simple ingredients to make this minty shake.
- vanilla ice cream
- milk – whole milk is the best to use for this recipe
- mint extract – not peppermint extract (don’t like mint? leave it our or add vanilla extract)
- green food coloring
- whipped cream
- maraschino cherries
How to Make a Shamrock Shake
This is one easy recipe with just one step and then pour to serve!
Step One: Add Ingredients to Blender
- Place (in this order) milk, ice cream, mint extract, and green food coloring into blender.
- Set on milkshake setting, or blend/pulse for a minute or two until it’s creamy and to the desired consistency.
- Add more green food coloring if you want it darker green.
Step Two: Pour into Glasses and Serve
Pour into serving glasses and top with whipped cream and a maraschino cherry.
What Is a Shamrock Shake?
The Shamrock shake is a green mint-flavored milkshake that’s sold seasonally at McDonald’s in March to commemorate St. Patrick’s Day.
Substitutions and Additions
- chocolate Shamrock shake – use chocolate milk to create a chocolate version of this popular minty milkshake
- chocolate chips – add mini chocolate chips
- drizzle chocolate syrup – you can drizzle chocolate syrup on the inside of the cups before you pour the milkshake in the glasses, and drizzle it on top of the whipped cream
- crushed Oreo cookies – add Oreo cookie pieces into the blender when mixing the shake
- green sprinkles – add green sprinkles on top of the whipped cream
- mint ice cream – substitute vanilla for mint or chocolate mint ice cream
- add alcohol – a mint-flavored alcohol would be great to make this an adult-only beverage
- vanilla shakes – leave out the mint flavor, but add the green food coloring and make a vanilla Shamrock shake
- Make a Shamrock sundae – instead of blending the ice cream you can use mint ice cream scoops in a bowl with whipped cream and a cherry
McDonald’s also serves an Oreo Shamrock McFlurry which is a thicker version of the original Shamrock Shake with Oreo pieces blended in with the ice cream. Make this at home by using less milk and adding crushed Oreo cookies. There’s even a shamrock chocolate chip frappés, but we haven’t tried to make that one yet!
- Use less food coloring instead of more. You can always add a drop or two more, but you can’t remove it once it’s there.
- If it’s too thin, add more ice cream.
- If it’s too thick, add more milk and give it a stir with a wooden spoon to incorporate it a bit before you make your blender do all the work. Depending on how thick it is, you don’t want to burn out your motor.
- Use a blender for a smooth consistency. If you don’t have a full-size blender, you’ll need to cut this recipe in half and do it in batches.
What is the Shamrock Shake Made Out of?
It’s made with vanilla ice cream, milk, and mint extract topped with whipped cream and a cherry.
What is the Shamrock Shake Flavor?
The shake’s flavor is a light minty flavor. It’s really just vanilla ice cream with mint flavoring.
Can I Use Peppermint in a Shamrock Shake?
We recommend using mint extract instead of peppermint because peppermint has a stronger flavor. If you only have peppermint, use less of it than what the recipe calls for.
When are Shamrock Shakes Available?
The Shamrock Shake season varies, but McDonald’s usually releases the Shamrock Shake in late winter, usually mid-February for a limited time. It usually lasts through St. Patrick’s Day, but be sure to get it when it’s released because there’s no exact date they’ll stop selling it.
Make this fun green treat at St. Patrick’s Day or at Christmas when green desserts are popular. This mint milkshake can be made any time of year that you want a mint treat.
- Add alcohol – To make a boozy shamrock shake, just add your favorite liquer when blending.
- Mint – add fresh mint leaves to the shake as a garnish
- Oreo – add crushed Oreoes when blending for an Oreo version.
More Fun Drinks
- Whipped Strawberry Milk
- Disney Dole Whip
- Pineapple Mango Smoothie
- Whipped Coffee
- Cinco de Mayo Drinks
Copycat Shamrock Shake
- 4 cups vanilla ice cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon mint extract
- 3-4 drops green food coloring
- whipped cream garnish
- 2 maraschino cherries garnish
- Add milk, ice cream, and mint extract into blender and blend on medium-high until blended.
- Add 3-4 drops green food coloring and blend to incorporate. Add more food coloring and blend again until desired color is achieved.
- Pour into glasses and top with whipped cream and a maraschino cherry.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don’t forget to share it with me on @thebalancingmom and follow on Tiktok @balancingmotherhood and Pinterest @thebalancingmom for more!
What's For Dinner?
Find a recipe for dinner tonight! Get our Top 10 Most Popular recipes ebook sent right to your email.
Leave a Review!