This copycat Shamrock Shake is just like the real thing with creamy vanilla ice cream, milk and a hint of mint flavor all colored green for St. Patrick’s Day. It’s a great way to celebrate spring!
You can celebrate with some of our Lucky Charms Muddy Buddies too!
Copycat Shamrock Shake
The McDonald’s Shamrock Shake is a popular milkshake during the month of February and March for St. Patrick’s Day. It’s green and minty and such a fun treat to celebrate the end of winter!
And, it’s easy – oh so easy – to make at home!
With this amazing copycat shake recipe you can make it in under 5 minutes!
- vanilla ice cream
- mint extract – not peppermint
- green food coloring
- whipped cream
- maraschino cherries
How to Make a Shamrock Shake
Place (in this order) milk, ice cream, mint extract, and green food coloring into blender.
Set on milkshake setting, or blend/pulse for a minute or two until it’s creamy and to the desired consistency.
Add more green food coloring if you want it darker green.
- chocolate chips
- drizzle chocolate syrup – you can drizzle chocolate syrup on the inside of the cups before you pour the milkshake in the glasses, and drizzle it on top of the whipped cream
- crushed Oreo cookies
- green sprinkles (we actually removed red sprinkles from some Christmas sprinkles we had!)
- mint ice cream – substitute vanilla for mint or chocolate mint ice cream
- Add alcohol – a mint-flavored alcohol would be great to make this an adult-only beverage
- Use less food coloring instead of more. You can always add a drop or two more, but you can’t remove it once it’s there.
- If it’s too thin, add more ice cream.
- If it’s too thick, add more milk and give it a stir with a wooden spoon to incorporate it a bit before you make your blender do all the work. Depending on how thick it is, you don’t want to burn out your motor.
- Use a blender. I use a Blentec which can blend an ipad. If you don’t have a full-size blender, you’ll need to cut this recipe in half and do it in batches.
What is the Shamrock Shake Made Out of?
It’s made with vanilla ice cream, milk, and mint extract topped with whipped cream and a cherry.
What is the Shamrock Shake Flavor?
The shake’s flavor is a light mint flavor. It’s really just vanilla ice cream with mint flavoring.
Can I Use Peppermint in a Shamrock Shake?
We recommend using mint extract instead of peppermint because peppermint has a stronger flavor. If you only have peppermint, use less of it than what the recipe calls for.
When is the Shamrock Shake Available?
McDonald’s releases the Shamrock Shake in late winter, usually mid-February for a limited time. It usually lasts through St. Patrick’s Day, but be sure to get it when it’s released because there’s no exact date they’ll stop selling it.
Want More Fun Drinks?
Copycat Shamrock Shake
- 4 cups vanilla ice cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 tsp mint extract
- 3-4 drops green food coloring
- whipped cream garnish
- 2 maraschino cherries
- Add milk, ice cream, and mint extract into blender and blend on medium-high until blended.
- Add 3-4 drops green food coloring and blend to incorporate. Add more food coloring and blend again until desired color is achieved.
- Pour into glasses and top with whipped cream and a maraschino cherry.