These easy Christmas popcorn balls are sweet and delicious holiday treats that will be loved by kids and adults alike. Light and fluffy popcorn with a gooey and sweet marshmallow coating is formed into balls and garnished with Christmas sprinkles for a fun and festive holiday season dessert that will bring out the kid in everyone.
Table of Contents
Christmas Popcorn Balls
The satisfying crunch and delicious salty sweet flavor combination of these easy popcorn balls is sure to take you right back to your childhood. If you haven’t had homemade popcorn balls in years, it’s time to bring back this classic and fun treat for all your holiday festivities. They might just become your new favorite way to eat popcorn.
Not only are they easy and inexpensive to make, but they have a pretty and festive appearance that makes them a perfect addition to any party or gathering. Get creative and add in your favorite candy, nuts, or other mix-ins to make delicious Christmas treats that will be a huge hit at your party and a delicious snack the next day – if you manage to have any leftovers!
Why We Love This Recipe
- This is one of our favorite easy recipes – it’s quick and it only requires a few ingredients.
- You can customize this recipe for popcorn balls by adding food coloring or mixing in just about any type of candy or sprinkles that you like.
- It’s a budget-friendly treat that’s great for feeding a big crowd at a holiday party.
- Similar to a Rice Krispie treat, marshmallow popcorn balls are always a big hit with kids, so they’re a perfect treat for a school party or event.
- It’s a great gluten-free treat. Just be sure to double check that your marshmallows and sprinkles don’t contain gluten – many brands do not.
- You can place them in goody bags and give them away as gifts or party favors.
- Large Pot
- Measuring cups
- Large spoon or rubber spatula
- Popcorn kernels – you can also start with popped popcorn or use microwave popcorn
- Mini marshmallows
- Unsalted butter
- Christmas sprinkles
- Cupcake liners
How to Make Christmas Popcorn Balls
Step One: Prepare the Popcorn Mixture
- Cook popcorn kernels according to package instructions.
- In a large pot on the stove top, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add miniature marshmallows to the melted butter, stirring until the marshmallows are melted and smooth.
- Remove the marshmallow mixture from the heat and add the popcorn. Stir until all the popcorn is evenly coated.
Step Two: Form the Balls
- Spray your hands with cooking spray, then grab a handful of the popcorn and shape mixture into a ball.
- Repeat with the remaining popcorn. (You may need to spray your hands again after every few popcorn balls.)
- After all the popcorn balls have been formed, place them on a plate and sprinkle with Christmas sprinkles.
- To serve, place the popcorn balls into festive cupcake liners. Enjoy!
Tips and Suggestions
- Spray some cooking spray on the inside of your cupcake liners to prevent the balls from sticking to the paper.
- Freshly popped popcorn works best. The flavor is better and your popcorn balls will stay fresh longer. Just try to remove as many unpopped kernels as you can before adding it to the marshmallow mixture.
- When forming the popcorn balls, don’t press them together too tightly. This can ruin the light and fluffy texture and make them hard to eat.
- Mix some red and green M&Ms into the popcorn mixture before forming the balls. The chocolate tastes great with the popcorn and the M&Ms add even more festive color.
- Make a popcorn cake! Instead of forming the popcorn mixture into balls, press it into a greased Bundt pan, then let it set, remove from the pan, and cut it into slices.
- Add a few drops of food coloring to the marshmallow mixture before stirring in the popcorn to create colored popcorn balls.
- Add pretzels, mixed nuts, or even peanut butter to your popcorn mixture.
- Drizzle a little bit of dark or white chocolate over the finished popcorn balls.
How Do I Store Christmas Popcorn Balls?
These will taste best if served within a day or two of when they are made, but they will keep for 5-7 days in an airtight container at room temperature. I recommend wrapping each popcorn ball individually in plastic wrap before placing it in the container.
Can I Freeze Christmas Popcorn Balls?
You can! Wrap them individually in plastic wrap or put them in resealable plastic bags and then place in an airtight container. They should last in the freezer for about a month.
How Large Should I Make My Popcorn Balls?
I like to make 3-inch popcorn balls, but you could make them slightly larger or smaller if you prefer. If they’re bigger than about 4 inches, they start to get a bit difficult to eat and may not fit in your cupcake liners
🎄 More Cute Christmas Treats
- Reindeer Krispies Treats
- Grinch Truffles
- Christmas Tree Meringues
- Santa Nutter Butter Cookies
- Melted Snowman Bark
- Candy Cane Danishes
- Christmas Wreath Cookies
Christmas Popcorn Balls
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup Christmas sprinkles
- 12 cupcake liners
- Pop popcorn kernels according to package instructions. Set aside.
- In a large pot, heat butter over medium heat, until melted. Add miniature marshmallows, and stir until melted.
- Remove from the heat and add popcorn, stirring well until all popcorn is evenly coated with marshmallow mixture.
- Spray your hands with nonstick spray, and grab a handful of the popcorn mixture to form your popcorn balls. You may need to re-spray every few popcorn balls made.
- Place the popcorn balls onto a plate and after they’ve all been formed, sprinkle with Christmas sprinkles.
What’s For Dinner?
Find a recipe for dinner tonight! Get our Top 10 Most Popular recipes ebook sent right to your email.