Blueberry dump cake is such an easy dessert — it only takes three ingredients! Truly, you’ll have dessert in no time!
This cake recipe is a classic. It’s a popular potluck because it’s easy to keep the ingredients in your panty to make it in a pinch.
If you like this cake, you’ll love our no bake eclair cake.
Blueberry Dump Cake
I was skeptical the first time I made a dump cake, but it comes out great and is a delicious treat. Plus, add some whipped cream or ice cream to a warm piece of dump cake and it’s perfect.
I made it again the other day for my kids for dessert night. I didn’t have anything fancy in the house. Couldn’t make a chocolate cake and I didn’t have the ingredients for my salted caramel brownies, but I did have the three ingredients in the pantry for my blueberry dump cake recipe!
I always keep some pie filling in the pantry, and I always, always, have a few boxes of cake mix. Buy them on sale and store them so you can have dessert any time you want.
What is a Dump Cake?
It’s sketchy where the dump cake originated. It could be from the depression when ingredients were scarce. This cake omits milk and eggs that would have been very expensive back in the day.
It could have easily been invented by a busy working mom who needs to bring a dish to church in the morning. Just keep three ingredients on hand and you’ve always got a dessert.
Blueberry Dump Cake Ingredients
Our blueberry dump cake recipe only has three ingredients to keep it simple and delicious. There are blueberry dump cake recipes that add coconut, but we know not everyone likes coconut. And, some dump cake recipes use crushed pineapple, but again, not everyone (my husband included!) likes pineapple.
Blueberry pie filling – We use two cans of blueberry pie filling to ensure there is enough liquid for the cake.
Yellow cake mix – yellow cake mix give a bit more flavor for the crust of this recipe
Butter – we use a whole stick of butter on top of this blueberry dump cake. You could try it with less, but if you’re using a 9 x 13 pan, you’ll probably need the entire stick of butter. We use unsalted butter. There is already salt in the cake mix so you don’t need any more.
How to Make Blueberry Dump Cake
This really can’t be easier. There’s not even any stirring involved.
Start by greasing a 9 x 13 pan. Then pour blueberry pie filling on the bottom and spread into a thin layer on the bottom. Use both cans of filling.
Next, sprinkle the yellow cake mix on top of the blueberry filling. Spread the cake mix over the entire blueberry mixture. I used my hands to spread it evenly. Classy.
Finally, cut the butter into pats, about 1/8 inch thick. Place the pats of butter on top, in rows, on the cake mixture.
Pop in the oven and cook for about 30 minutes or until golden on top.
Take out of the oven and let sit for a few minutes. Serve warm.
Add a dollop of vanilla ice cream on top and you have a perfect, warm dessert!
What to Serve With Dump Cake?
This blueberry dump cake is great alone, or pair with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. We like our cake warm so the ice cream and whipped cream melt a little into the crevices of the crust and mingle with the blueberry pie filling.
Can You Freeze Dump Cake?
You can certainly freeze this dump cake, but you won’t have much to freeze because it’s so popular! To freeze, just put in an air tight, freezer container or zip top bag. You can freeze for up to a couple of months.
To serve, remove from freezer and thaw, then heat for a few minutes in the microwave. I don’t recommend heating from frozen as it will take longer to cook and the berries might become overcooked.
Alternative Versions of Dump Cake
- Dump cake has many versions, you could easily substitute the blueberry pie filling with cherry pie filling and have amazing results. There are also cans of apple, peach, and even strawberry pie filling you could use. Just be sure to substitute the same amount.
- Another option is to put slivered almonds or chopped pecans on top of the butter/crust layer just before baking. This adds an extra crispness to the cake.
Want More Dessert Recipes?
- No bake eclair cake.
- Instant Pot peach cobbler.
- Amazing black bean brownies.
Blueberry Dump Cake
- 1 box white cake mix 15.25 ounces
- 2 cans blueberry pie filling 21 ounces each
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted, cold
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray or otherwise grease pan.
- Pour both cans of blueberry pie filling on bottom of pan. Spread evenly.
- Sprinkle package of white cake mix over blueberry pie filling. Spread out.
- Cut butter into thin slices, small pads, and place in rows on top of cake mixture.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden on top.
- Allow to cool slightly. Approx. 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share it with me on @thebalancingmom and follow on Tiktok @balancingmotherhood and Pinterest @thebalancingmom for more!
What's For Dinner?
Find a recipe for dinner tonight! Get our Top 10 Most Popular recipes ebook sent right to your email.
Leave a Review!