These red, white, and blue crinkle cookies are a fun and patriotic treat that’s perfect for your Fourth of July celebration. Colorful and delicious, these festive cookies are an eye-catching treat that everyone will want to try!
If you love chocolate crinkle cookies, you need to try this pretty red, white, and blue version. They’re a fun twist on a traditional crinkle cookie recipe with bold and bright colors. Like all crinkle cookies, they have the distinctive cracks on the surface of the cookie, the sweet powdered sugar coating, the amazing crispy exterior, and soft chewy center.
These crowd-pleasing treats are super easy and inexpensive to make and they’re sure to be a hit with kids and adults alike. They’re the perfect treat to bring some delicious patriotic spirit to all your summer picnics, parties, and potlucks.
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Recipe
- These patriotic red, white, and blue cookies are a perfect choice for a Memorial Day or Independence Day event.
- Crinkle cookies have a unique texture that’s both crisp and chewy, making them an addictively delicious treat.
- This simple cookie is made with a boxed cake mix as the base, so it’s a quick and easy dessert to prepare.
- This versatile recipe can be adapted to make other delicious flavors and colors of crinkle cookies.
- Boxed white cake mix (15.25 ounce)
- Vegetable oil
- Large eggs
- Red food coloring
- Blue food coloring
- Powdered sugar
How to Make Red, White, and Blue Crinkle Cookies
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Step One: Prepare the Dough
- To a large bowl, add cake mix, oil, and eggs and mix until combined.
Step Two: Color the Dough and Roll in Sugar
- Divide the dough into three equal portions and place each in a separate bowl.
- Color one of the bowls of cookie dough with the red food coloring and another with the blue coloring. Leave the third portion white.
- Scoop and roll each color of cookie dough into six 1 ½ inch balls.
- Roll the dough balls in powdered sugar then place them on the prepared baking sheet spaced out about 2 inches from each other.
Step Three: Bake the Cookies
- Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until the edges are set.
- Let the cookies cool directly on the cookie sheet for a few minutes then transfer them to a wire rack to finish cooling. The cookies should crinkle and flatten as they cool.
Tips and Suggestions
- To make handling the dough a bit easier, chill it in the fridge for 30 minutes before rolling it into balls.
- For best results, use a gel food coloring instead of liquid food coloring. It will yield a more vibrant color.
- Bake the pans of cookies one at a time. This may be a bit time consuming, but will result in the cookies baking more evenly.
- Be sure to get a white cake mix and not yellow, as it will affect the color of your cookies, and they may come out with an orange or green tint.
- Colors – Try different food colorings or intensities. Adding fewer drops will result in more of a pastel color which will be perfect for spring or Easter events.
- Chocolate crinkle cookies – Use chocolate cake and omit the food coloring for delicious chocolate crinkle cookies.
- Lemon – Use lemon cake mix and a teaspoon of lemon zest for tart and sweet lemon crinkle cookies.
- Sprinkles – Roll the cookie dough balls in sprinkles before baking to make sprinkle crinkle cookies.
- Christmas cookie – replace the blue food coloring with green food coloring and make Christmas crinkle cookies
How Do I Store Red, White, and Blue Crinkle Cookies?
Store them in an airtight container, and the cookies should last at room temperature for 3 or 4 days.
Can I Freeze Red, White, and Blue Crinkle Cookies?
You can freeze them for up to 3 months in an airtight container or freezer bag. However, the powdered sugar may begin to deteriorate which will cause a reduction in the crinkle effect.
Make these for memorial Day, July 4th, or Labor Day
More Patriotic Desserts
- Red, White, and Blue Ice Cream
- Red, White, and Blue Marshmallow Bars
- Red, White, and Blue Snack Mix
- Red, White, and Blue Brownie Cookies
- Red, White, and Blue Cookie Bars
- Red, White, and Blue M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies
Red, White and Blue Cake Mix Crinkle Cookies
- 15.5 ounces white cake mix 1 box
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- red food coloring
- blue food coloring
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Mix the cake mix, oil, and eggs in a large bowl until well combined. Divide the batter into three even portions. Color one portion of the dough red, one portion blue and leave the third portion uncolored.
- Roll or scoop each color of the dough into six 1 ½ tablespoon balls.
- Roll each dough ball in the powdered sugar and place on the prepared baking sheets leaving at least two inches between each cookie.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are set. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for five minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling. The cookies will flatten and crinkle as they cool.
What’s For Dinner?
Find a recipe for dinner tonight! Get our Top 10 Most Popular recipes ebook sent right to your email.