This site contains affiliate links. Please see Disclosure Policies for more information.
Halloween puppy chow is such a fun treat. Also known as muddie buddies, it’s a simple treat with rice cereal, melted chocolate and peanut butter, powdered sugar and seasonal candies – all mixed together.
Halloween Puppy Chow
This classic treat is popular probably because it’s so simple to make. There’s really no right or wrong way to make it, but we’re sharing our simple starter recipe that you can craft as your own.
Puppy chow, also known as muddy buddies, is a sugary snack made with rice chex cereal that’s tossed with melted chocolate and peanut butter. This coats the cereal. You then toss it with powdered sugar and finally, add your favorite candy treats.
This is a great recipe to make as a Halloween treat for your kids, or bring it to a party. You can also put it in small baggies to hand out at parties or other gatherings.
This is also a great activity to kids to do at parties. Put all the ingredients on the table and let them scoop, stir, and add their own ingredients. You really can’t get this one wrong. Let the kids put too much powdered sugar, or too many extra candies. They’ll love it!
Trust me, no matter where you bring it, it won’t last long.
- Rice Chex cereal – any brand will be fine
- chocolate chips – you can use milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or even white chocolate
- peanut butter – use a creamy peanut butter. I also recommend NOT using natural peanut butter. It contains too much oil and will be very messy in the recipe
- butter – just a pat of butter
- vanilla – this gives is a great flavor
- powdered sugar – this is what coats the chex mix and chocolate so it’s not sticky
- candy – any amount or kind of candy will work in this recipe. Play around with different types, or use what you have on hand.
In a large mixing bowl measure out 8 cups of rice chex cereal. Set aside.
In a microwave-safe bowl, add chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter and microwave for 1 minute. Stir and microwave for 30 more seconds and stir again until smooth. Add in vanilla extract and stir to combine.
Pour the chocolate mixture on top of the cereal and gently toss to coat all of the cereal.
Next, add the powdered sugar. You can pour it on top and gently toss to cover, or you can put the cereal mixture into a large ziptop bag and give is a shake. I like the bowl method best, but either works. If kids are helping, I’d give them portions in large ziptop bags and let the shake, shake, shake!
Finally, add all of your candy pieces and toss or shake to combine.
- candy corn – a traditional Halloween candy
- autumn corn – slightly different from candy corn in the coloring.
- candy pumpkins – sometimes you can buy these separately, and sometimes they come in the bag with an autumn mix. They stand out well in the final puppy chow.
- Reese’s pieces – I like using these because they are the perfect color for Halloween
- M&Ms – you can add any kind you like. And, mix up the colors.
- Sprinkles – regular or Halloween-themed
- Mini candy bars – things like mini-Reese’s cups, chopped up Kit Kats, etc.
- chocolate chips – white or chocolate
Want More Halloween Treats?
- 8 cups Rice Chex cereal approx. a 12 oz. box
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter smooth
- 2 Tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup Reese's pieces
- 1/2 cup candy corn
- 1/2 cup autumn corn
- candy eyeballs
- In large mixing bowl measure our 8 cups of Rice Chex cereal (slightly less than a 12 oz. box). Set aside.
- In microwave-safe bowl add chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter and microwave for 1 minute. Stir and return to microwave for 30 more seconds. Stir and add vanilla.
- Pour chocolate mixture on top of chex cereal and gently toss until cereal is covered in chocolate.
- Add powdered sugar and toss to combine. You can also put the mixture into a large ziptop bag and gently shake until all of the cereal is coated.
- Add candy pieces and toss.