These spider cookies are chewy peanut butter cookies with a Reese’s peanut butter cup on top, chocolate legs, and googly eyes! So cute. They’re a perfect, easy treat for Halloween.
Table of Contents
These Halloween cookies are so fun and easy to make. The remind me of my Reese’s peanut butter cookies, but with character!
- Peanut butter cookie mix – see note below about what kinds of dough to use. You’ll also need the ingredients on package
- Sugar – white sugar for rolling. This adds a great texture to the cookie.
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups – use the miniature candies. Freeze them before you start baking.
- Candy eyeballs – these make it so much fun! You can find them on Amazon and in baking sections of your grocery or craft store.
- Chocolate chips – these are used for melting.
We love to use the Betty Crocker peanut butter mix in a bag. You can find it at most grocery stores, Walmart, and Target. I like to keep this on hand in my pantry.
We also have used the premade raw cookie dough that you find in the refrigerator aisle of your grocery store.
How to Make Halloween Spider Cookies
Start by unwrapping and freezing the peanut butter cups. This will help them retain their shape when putting them on top of the warm cookies.
We use a bag mix for the peanut butter cookies. You can also use a premade refrigerator dough that you’ll find in the refrigerator section of the grocery store. You can also make your own peanut butter dough from scratch.
Next, prepare the peanut butter cookie dough.
Shape the dough into balls and roll in sugar. Please balls on cookie sheet and bake as directed.
Remove from the oven and place a Reese’s peanut butter cup upside down on top of each peanut butter cookie.
Tab a bit of peanut butter or melted chocolate as glue for each eye and place the eyes on the side of the peanut butter cup.
Next, place the chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl and melt in 30 second increments in the microwave. Stir in-between each melting session in the microwave. You may see what look like solid chocolate chips, but don’t let that fool you. When you stir them, they will melt. Don’t overcook the chocolate.
Scoop the melted chocolate into a piping bag or a ziptop sandwich page. Cut off a corner and pipe six (or eight if you’re being scientific!) legs onto each cookie.
Refrigerate cookies to help the chocolate set.
Want More Halloween Recipes?
- Peanut butter cookie mix and ingredients on package see below
- 1/4 cup sugar for rolling
- 18 miniature Reese’s cups unwrapped and frozen
- candy eyeballs https://amzn.to/30QTfpE
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350
- Prepare peanut butter cookies per the package instructions. You can use the Betty Crocker kind in the bag, or use a prepared peanut butter cookie dough like Pilsbury.
- Chill dough in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes so it’s workable
- Form into 1inch balls and place on a prepared and lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Do not overcook.
- Remove from oven and immediately press a frozen peanut butter cup (upside down) on top of each cookie.
- When all cookies have a peanut butter cup on them, next add two googly eyes to the front of one side of the peanut butter cup. They should stick because the chocolate is warm.
- Move them to a wire rack and allow to cool.
- While the cookies are cooling, place the chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl and melt in 30 second increments in the microwave. Stir in between each melting session in the microwave. Chocolate holds its shape until stirred.
- Pour melted chocolate into a piping bag or a ziptop sandwich page. Cut off a corner and pipe six legs onto each cookie.
- Refrigerate cookies to help the chocolate set.
What’s For Dinner?
Find a recipe for dinner tonight! Get our Top 10 Most Popular recipes ebook sent right to your email.