These Easy Rice Krispies Treats take the classic recipe to a whole new level. To make these cereal treats extra gooey and deliciously chewy, extra marshmallows and butter are used, along with some vanilla extract and a pinch of salt for added flavor.
Homemade Rice Krispie Treats
One bite of these delicious Rice Krispie Treats and you will be transported right back to your childhood. But just when you think they can’t get any better, we take the original Rice Krispie and add even more gooey goodness. By mixing additional mini marshmallows, that aren’t quite completely melted, little pockets of chewiness are created all throughout the treats. We also add a pinch of salt that gives them the perfect balance of flavor.
Whether you’re looking for a quick and easy dessert, a lunchbox surprise, or a sweet treat for special occasions, these Rice Krispie treats are always a fantastic go-to option. They’re incredibly versatile too. Feel free to add in some chocolate chips, drizzle with melted chocolate, or even shape them into creative shapes and designs. The possibilities of fun options are endless!
And if you’re looking for even more amazing ways to turn crispy rice cereal into tasty no bake treats, check out these Red Velvet Rice Krispie Treats, Watermelon Rice Krispie Treats and these Rice Krispie Easter Eggs.
Why We Love This Recipe
- Quick and easy: Making this Rice Krispie Treat recipe is a breeze. With just a few simple ingredients, you can whip up a batch in just 15 minutes, plus a little extra time to set up.
- Super versatile: These easy treats are such a fun snack that you can easily customize them in countless ways making each batch unique.
- Great for all ages: Let’s be honest, adults love these tasty treats as much as kids do. From cookie swaps and birthday parties to family gatherings, they’re a huge hit with everyone.
- Unsalted butter, melted
- Mini marshmallows, divided
- Pure vanilla extract
- Rice Krispies cereal
How to Make the Best Rice Krispie Treats
Step One: Melt the Butter
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper and set it aside. You can lightly spray the bottom with nonstick spray to help keep the parchment paper in place, but you do not need to spray the top.
- Melt butter in a large pot or dutch oven over medium-low heat.
Step Two: Add Some of the Marshmallows
- Set aside 2 cups of miniature marshmallows to mix in later. Then add the remaining marshmallows into the pot and melt with the butter over low heat, stirring slowly until just melted. Do not overheat.
- As soon as the marshmallow mixture has melted, immediately remove the pot from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract and salt.
Step Three: Add Remaining Marshmallows and Cereal
- Fold the Rice Krispies cereal and the 2 cups of set-aside marshmallows together until evenly distributed and coated.
Step Four: Spread into Pan and Allow to Cool
- Spread the prepared Rice Krispies mix into an even layer in the baking pan and lightly press it in. You can use a rubber spatula to help prevent it from sticking.
- Allow the gooey marshmallow treats time to cool on the counter for about 30 minutes to 1 hour before cutting into squares.
Variations and Add-ins of Rice Krispy Treats
- Brown butter Rice Krispie treats: Add a grown-up twist to the basic recipe by allowing the butter to brown slightly in the large saucepan before adding the marshmallows. This gives the butter a delicious nutty flavor.
- Fruity Pebbles treats: For a fruity and colorful spin, you can use the same amount of Fruity Pebbles cereal as you do the rice crispy cereal.
- Cocoa Krispies: If you have chocolate lovers in your life you can swap out the regular cereal with Cocoa Pebbles cereal.
- Chocolate dipped: Add a fancy finishing touch by dipping the treats, or one end of the treats in melted chocolate or candy melts.
- Sprinkles: Kids love desserts with colorful sprinkles. Just mix their favorite colored sprinkles into the gooey treats before transferring them to the baking pan.
Easy Tips for the Best Treats Every Time
- Fresh marshmallows: Always soft and fresh marshmallows. Air can cause them to become stale and hardened which will affect the texture of the marshmallow mixture.
- Heat slowly: When melting the marshmallows, use low or medium heat to prevent them from scorching. Make sure you stir the mixture constantly until they are fully melted and smooth.
- Mix gently: When adding the cereal to the melted marshmallows, mix it gently to avoid crushing the cereal too much. This can cause your treats to be dense and harden.
- Even thickness: Press the mixture firmly and evenly into the pan. This helps make them all the same size when you slice them.
- Butter hands: Coat your hands with butter or nonstick cooking spray before pressing the mixture into the pan. This will prevent a sticky mess and will make it easier to spread out.
How Do I Store These Treats?
These Rice Krispie treats are best eaten within a day or two, but you can store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature. For best results do not refrigerate them because it will cause them to harden.
Can I Freeze Rice Krispie Treats?
While it’s possible to freeze them, they are best when freshly made. However, if you have leftovers that you need to freeze, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or place them in an air-tight container before freezing.
Can I make Rice Krispie Treats in the Microwave?
Yes, you can. Just melt the marshmallows and butter in a microwave-safe bowl using the microwave. Heat the mixture in 15-30 second intervals on medium heat. Stir between each interval until the mixture is melted and smooth. Be careful not to overheat and burn the marshmallows.
More Easy No Bake Desserts
- Peanut Butter Bars
- Cherry Cheesecake
- Peanut Butter Pie
- Banana Split Cake
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Dessert
Easy Rice Krispie Treats
- Large pot
- 9 x 13 baking pan
- Parchment paper
- 1 stick unsalted butter melted
- 16 ounces mini marshmallows divided
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 ½ cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a large pot over low heat, melt the butter.
- Set aside 2 cups of mini marshmallows to mix in later. Then add the remaining marshmallows into the pot and melt with the butter over low heat, stirring slowly until just melted. Do not overheat.
- As soon as it has melted, immediately remove the pot from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract and salt.
- Fold the rice krispies cereal and the 2 cups of set aside marshmallows together until evenly distributed and coated.
- Spread the prepared rice krispies mix into an even layer in the baking pan and lightly press it in. You can use a rubber spatula to help prevent it from sticking.
- Allow it to cool on the counter for 30 minutes to 1 hour before cutting into squares.
What’s For Dinner?
Find a recipe for dinner tonight! Get our Top 10 Most Popular recipes ebook sent right to your email.