This cool and creamy homemade Cake Batter Dip is one of the best dessert dips you will ever make. It’s the perfect sweet dip to serve for a baby shower, birthday celebrations, or just those last-minute sweet tooth cravings.
Funfetti Cake Dip
You know that awesome snack we used to have in our lunchboxes back in the 90s and even the early 2000s? The one with cookies and sweet frosting? Well, this Cake Batter Dip, also known as Dunkaroo dip, is inspired by that exact treat! And guess what? It’s super easy to make at home and tastes even better!
The best part is that you only need 4 easy ingredients and 10 minutes to whip up a batch of this fun and festive party dip recipe! And because this recipe requires the cake mix to be heat-treated cake mix, it is totally safe to eat raw! It’s a great option when hosting a gathering for special occasions or just for keeping on hand for an afternoon snack.
Why We Love This Recipe
- Super fun to serve- Whether it’s for casual snacking, birthday parties, or special occasions, kids and adults alike love to dip and dunk foods!
- Easy recipe to make – This is seriously the easiest recipe ever. It calls for 4 simple ingredients, that you get from any grocery store, that you just mix, chill and serve!
- Completely customizable – From the cake mix you use to an assortment of tasty add-ins; you can give this dessert your own delicious spin.
- Delicious flavors – This is a rich and creamy dip that tastes just like a birthday cake. The cream cheese gives it the perfect tangy flavor to balance out the sweet cake mix.
- Cream cheese, softened
- Funfetti cake mix, heat treated (see notes)
- Whipped topping- thawed to room temperature
- Rainbow sprinkles for garnishing
- Electric mixer
- Mixing bowl
- Rubber spatula
How to Make This Funfetti Cake Batter Dip Recipe
Step One: Choose a Method to Heat Treat the Cake Mix
- Microwave instructions: Microwave the dry cake mix in a microwave-safe bowl for (2) 30-second intervals stirring in between. Allow the cake mix to come to room temperature before using.
- Oven instructions: For heat treating raw cake mix in the oven, place cake mix on a large cookie sheet prepared with parchment paper. Evenly spread your cake mix out to cover the entire baking sheet. Cook cake mix at 350 degrees for 5 minutes and allow it to come to room temperature before use.
Step Two: Combine Cake Mix and Cream Cheese
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine cream cheese and cake mix using a hand mixer or stand mixer. Mix on medium speed for about 2-3 minutes or until the ingredients are fully combined. It will be thick.
Step Three: Add Whipped Cream
- Fold in the cool whip. Mix well until fully combined.
Step Four: Add Sprinkles and Chill
- Add sprinkles and fold them in.
- Cover with plastic wrap or place in an airtight container. Place inside the refrigerator, for 30 minutes to chill or until ready to serve.
- To serve, garnish with extra sprinkles and serve with your favorite cookies, sweet crackers, or any of your favorite dippers.
Funfetti Dip Recipe Variations
- White cake mix: If you want a specific color scheme, you can swap out the Funfetti cake mix with a white cake mix and then use the color sprinkles you’d like to use. It’s a great option for theme parties.
- Double chocolate dip: If you have chocolate lovers in your life, you can use a chocolate cake mix, chocolate sprinkles, and even add in some mini chocolate chips for extra rich chocolatey flavor.
- Cookies and cream dip: Adding crushed Oreo cookies to the dip is a fun idea. I would recommend using white or chocolate cake mixes instead of Funfetti.
- Other cake mix options: You can make this dip with any of your favorite cake mix flavors. Lemon, strawberry, or even a spice cake mix tastes delicious.
- Add some crunch: Add a bit of crunch with chopped toasted almonds or pecans. Toasted coconut flakes and mini white chocolate chips are other great add-ins.
- Toppings: Have fun and give this dip an extra sweetness with a drizzle of fruit syrups, chocolate syrup, or caramel sauce.
What Dippers Can I Serve with This Delicious Dessert Dip?
- Teddy Grahams
- Chocolate chip cookies,
- Vanilla wafers
- Fresh fruit, like sliced strawberries, bananas kiwi, and cantaloupe
- Shortbread cookies
- Graham crackers
- Animal crackers
Why Do I Have to Heat the Box of Cake Mix?
Cake mixes typically contain raw flour and sometimes leavening agents like baking powder or baking soda. Eating raw cake mix, can pose a few health risks so it’s important to heat it before using it, just to be on the safe side.
How Long Does Cake Mix Dip Last in the Fridge?
As a general rule of thumb, homemade dips that contain dairy products like yogurt or cream cheese usually last for about 3 to 5 days when stored properly in the refrigerator.
More Fun Dessert Dips
- Halloween S’mores Dip
- Bunny Butt Dip
- Peeps S’mores Dip
- Red Velvet Dip
- Peanut Butter Cup S’mores Dip
- St. Patrick’s Booty Dip
Cake Batter Dip
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened, 1 block
- 1 box funfetti cake mix
- 8 ounces whipped topping thawed, 1 tub
- rainbow sprinkles for garnishing
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine cream cheese and cake mix using an electrical hand or stand mixer. Mix on medium speed for about 2-3 minutes or until the ingredients are fully combined. It will be thick.
- Fold in whipped topping. Mix well until fully combined.
- Cover and place inside the refrigerator for 30 minutes to chill or until ready to serve.
- To serve, garnish with sprinkles and serve with your favorite sweet cracker.
What’s For Dinner?
Find a recipe for dinner tonight! Get our Top 10 Most Popular recipes ebook sent right to your email.