This simple recipe for delicious Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala features tender chicken breasts smothered in a creamy and flavorful mushroom sauce. And the best part is, the slow cooker does most of the work for you, making it perfect for a busy weeknight dinner.
Table of Contents
Crock Pot Chicken Marsala Recipe
Chicken marsala is one of the most popular Italian traditional dishes ordered at restaurants. And for a good reason. It features tender and juicy pan-seared chicken in a mouthwatering rich and creamy wine sauce.
Although the original classic Italian recipe isn’t made using heavy cream, adding it creates the perfect amount of creaminess that really helps to balance out the flavor of the wine.
The savory sauce is loaded with slices of beefy mushrooms that gives the recipe extra texture and the chicken is incredibly flavorful and extremely tender after being in the crockpot for hours. This restaurant-worthy delicious dish is fancy enough to serve for special occasions but easy enough for a simple weeknight meal.
💓 Why We Love This Recipe
- Delicious: This is a delicious dish that makes a wonderful meal for special occasions or an easy weeknight dinner
- Simple: Super easy recipe using basic ingredients you can get from most any grocery store.
- Hearty: This chicken recipe is a hearty and satisfying, stick-to-your-ribs kind of comfort food the whole family will love.
🥄 Recommended Tools:
- Slow cooker
- Large skillet
- Small bowl
- Measuring cup
- All-purpose flour
- Sweet paprika
- Black pepper
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Mushrooms, sliced
- Minced garlic cloves
- Dry Marsala wine
- Chicken broth
- Corn starch (whisked with 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl)
- Heavy cream
- Minced parsley
How to Make this Crockpot Chicken Marsala Recipe
Step One: Season the Chicken
- Combine the flour, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Dredge each skinless, boneless chicken breast in the flour mixture.
Step Two: Pan-sear Chicken
- Heat oil in a large pan on medium-high heat and brown both sides of chicken for about 4 minutes per side.
Step Three: Add Ingredients to Slow Cooker
- Place the mushrooms, garlic, thyme, and oregano in the bottom of the slow cooker and add the chicken.
- Pour the Marsala wine and chicken broth over the chicken.
Step Four: Cook Until Tender
- Place the lid tightly on the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or low heat for 6 hours.
Step Five: Thicken the Sauce
- Remove the chicken and whisk in the cornstarch slurry.
- Add the heavy cream to the marsala sauce and place the chicken back in.
Note: The sauce will not thicken completely after adding in your cream. But once you add the chicken back into the cooker, the flour from the chicken will finish thickening it.
Step Six: Finish Cooking and Serve
- Set on high for 30 minutes to an hour or until the creamy marsala wine sauce has thickened
- Serve and enjoy!
Make Ahead and Storage Tips
- Make-ahead: The great thing about making this chicken recipe in the crockpot is, it’s already a make-ahead dish. But if you’re wanting to make it a day in advance, just allow the cooked chicken marsala to cool to room temperature and transfer it to an airtight container and place it in the fridge.
- Fridge: If you have a lot of leftovers, only reheat what you plan on eating at one time. You do not want to reheat chicken numerous times. When stored properly in the fridge the chicken will keep fresh for 3-4 days.
- Freeze: If you’re not planning on eating leftover chicken marsala within a few days, you can freeze it. Place the leftovers in a freezer-safe container with an airtight lid and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. To thaw, place in the fridge overnight before reheating.
Creamy Chicken Marsala Variations
Chicken – We used regular chicken breasts, but to reduce the cooking time, you can also use thin cutlets or chicken tenders. You can also use chicken thighs if you prefer dark meat.
Wine – When it comes to making the wine sauce, use any white wine you have on hand that you like the taste of. If you prefer to omit the wine all together, just replace it with equal parts chicken broth.
Heavy cream – Instead of heavy cream, you can use a block of cream cheese of a tub of mascarpone cheese. Once it has melted, whisk well to incorporate into the sauce.
Skip frying – Pan-searing the chicken gives it a lot of flavors but if you’re in a rush you can just add it directly to the slow cooker. It will still taste amazing.
Double the sauce – It’s so delicious you may want to double the sauce and have plenty to pour over rice or pasta.
Can I Make This Recipe Stove Top?
Just about anything you cook in the slow cooker, you can cook on the stove with just a little more attention. For a stove top method, you’ll want to pound out the breasts into thin cutlets so that they will cook a little faster.
Once you have seared the chicken, set it aside. Make the sauce in the same large skillet and add the chicken back in until it’s tender.
How Do I Serve this Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala?
Serve the chicken with the delicious sauce over rice, mashed potatoes, pasta or with a side salad or vegetables for a delicious meal the whole family will love. Sprinkle with fresh parsley or freshly grated parmesan cheese for garnish.
More Slow Cooker Recipes
- Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
- Crockpot Smokies
- Slow Cooker Chicken Teriyaki
- Crockpot Beef Stew
- Simple Slow Cooker Chili
- Crockpot Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken
Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/4 cup Marsala wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch whisked with 2 Tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon minced parsley
- Combine the flour, paprika, salt and pepper and dredge the chicken in the flour mixture.
- Heat the olive oil and brown the chicken for 4 minutes per side.
- Place the mushrooms, garlic, thyme, and oregano in the slow cooker and add the chicken.
- Pour the Marsala wine and chicken broth over the chicken.
- Place the lid tightly on the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
- Remove the chicken and whisk in the cornstarch and water mix.
- Add the heavy cream and place the chicken back in. Set on high for 30 minutes to an hour or until the sauce has thickened some.
- Serve the chicken with sauce over rice, mashed potatoes, pasta or with a side salad or vegetables. Sprinkle with parsley.
What’s For Dinner?
Find a recipe for dinner tonight! Get our Top 10 Most Popular recipes ebook sent right to your email.