This site contains affiliate links. Please see Disclosure Policies for more information.
Crockpot hot chocolate is such a simple way to make a big batch of rich hot cocoa! Our recipe combines cocoa, milk, sweetened condensed milk, and chocolate chips for an extra creamy chocolate you’ll love to sip.
You might also like our hot chocolate bombs with printable gift tags
Crockpot Hot Chocolate
We love hot chocolate in my house. After a snowy day or just in the winter as a special treat. We’ve made a lot of different hot chocolate recipes over the years, but this is the best hot chocolate there is! And, it’s super easy in the crock pot. It’s the best way to make hot chocolate for a lot of people.
This easy crockpot recipe is a winner. It makes a wonderful, creamy hot chocolate that’s filled with melted chocolate chips and multiple types of cream and milk. Add your favorite hot chocolate topping for a perfect drink on a cold day.
If you love hot chocolate you have to try our hot chocolate donut holes. These are so easy to make and would be perfect with this hot chocolate recipe.
Hot Chocolate Ingredients
- heavy whipping cream
- sweetened condensed milk
- milk chocolate chips
- cocoa powder
- vanilla extract
How to Make Hot Chocolate in the Crockpot
Pour all the ingredients into the crockpot and set on low. Let simmer for two hours, stirring frequently.
Keep a spatula nearby so you can scrape the bottom of the crockpot to ensure the melted chocolate is being incorporated into the milk.
After two hours, you can use a ladle and spoon some into a mug and top with mini marshmallows or whipped cream. Drizzle with our homemade hot chocolate sauce.
Fun Hot Chocolate Add-Ins
- candy canes or peppermint sticks – serve with candy canes hanging over the side of the mug
- whipped cream – homemade or store bought
- mini marshmallows – everyone loves marshmallows in hot chocolate
- sprinkles – get holiday-colored sprinkles to put on top of whipped cream
- sweet sauce on top – drizzle hot chocolate sauce (like our homemade hot chocolate sauce) or caramel sauce on top
- chocolate shavings – you can make your own, or buy premade chocolate shavings, or just mini chocolate chips to put on top
- peppermint schnapps (for the grown ups only!) – add some liquor to make this a boozy hot chocolate beverage for the adults. You could swap out the vanilla extract for peppermint extract if you want the peppermint flavor without the alcohol.
How Do You Store Hot Chocolate?
If you have any leftovers, you can store hot chocolate in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. If the chocolate separates, you’ll just need to warm it up again over the stove, or back in the crockpot for a bit.
This would be a fun beverage to have on hand for Christmas morning. Put the ingredients in before you start opening presents and it will be ready for a late morning treat!
We love to serve this in the winter when we’re having a Christmas party or a big group over in the colder months. Just set the ingredients in the crockpot 2 hours before the party and then set up a hot chocolate bar with all the fun add ons people can use. This is a fun treat for special occasions.
Want Some Christmas Cookies to Go With the Hot Chocolate?
- Christmas Wreath Cornflake Cookies
- Chewy Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- Pinwheel Sugar Cookies
- Cranberry and White Chocolate Cookies
- Peanut butter balls
- 10 cups milk
- 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 16 oz. heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
- 12 oz. milk chocolate chips
- Place all ingredients into your crockpot and stir to combine.
- Turn crockpot on low and let simmer for 2 hours.
- Stir frequently, making sure to get the melting chocolate chips from the bottom.
- Pour into mugs and top with mini marshmallows or whipped cream.
What's For Dinner?
Find a recipe for dinner tonight! Get our Top 10 Most Popular recipes ebook sent right to your email.