This site contains affiliate links. Please see Disclosure Policies for more information.
This chocolate energy bar recipe is a winner. It’s sweetened with dates so you don’t have to have a lot of added refined sugar.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Energy Bars
Mix the dry ingredients together.
You need to puree the dates. This will give the sweetness and help bind the bar. You can do this in a blender or food processor.
Add in pure maple syrup. It’s only two tablespoons, but will give it a natural sweetness.
And, of course you need to add the chocolate chips. I like to use dark chocolate in this recipe.
This is where you need to line a pan with parchment, or wax paper (or aluminum foil if you’re out, like we were.) Roll the mixture out and flatten with the back of a spoon sprayed with cooking spray – or you can use another piece of wax paper on top and press down with your hands.
Freeze the chocolate chip energy bars for an hour and then you can pull out from the pan and cut into long bars. You can also cut into bite-sized pieces if you want more of per batch.
Keep in a container or wrap individually in parchment paper.
- 2 cups dates
- 3/4 cup almonds
- 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup natural
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Soak the dates in warm water for twenty minutes (this makes them easier to blend!). in a food processor or blender, chop the almonds.
- You can grind them into a flour or leave some a bit chunky for texture.
- Pour the almonds into a bowl and add in the cocoa powder.
- In a food processor or blender, blend the dates, vanilla and water until a paste forms.
- Scoop out the paste into the almond mixture and mix to combine.
- Stir in the mini chocolate chips.
- Line an 8x4 pan with parchment paper. Pour the mixture into the pan and using another piece of parchment paper, press the mixture into the pan until even.
- Top with additional chopped almonds, if desired.
- Place in the freezer for one hour to set.
- Remove from freezer and cut int o five bars.
12 Days of Cookies!
Get 12 AMAZING Christmas cookie recipes in your email!