This loaded potato soup recipe is perfect for lunch or dinner. Just add a salad and a piece of bread and you’ll have a full meal.
With the chill in the air, it’s time for some heat your soul soup. Today I’ve got a creamy potato soup that will warm you right up.
Start by pealing some russet potatoes.
Chop into small pieces.
You’re going to cook the bacon first and set aside, then melt some butter and cook the onions and celery until tender.
Chop up some ham slices, into bite-sized pieces.
Then you start adding the cream and other ingredients, along with the chopped potatoes. Follow the recipe and cook until the potatoes are fork tender.
The cream, sour cream, and cheese make this a decadent loaded potato soup. And once you add in all the seasonings and the bulk from the potatoes, you have an amazing soup perfect for a cold day!
And, if you like soup, one of our reader’s favorite posts on Balancing Motherhood is our famous Instant Pot chicken noodle soup. You can start with frozen chicken and still have full-flavored chicken noodle soup in no time.
Loaded potato soup
- 4 slices bacon
- 3 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 1 ½ cups onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic 2-3 cloves
- 5 cups cubed potatoes about ½ inch chunks (4-5 larger Russet potatoes)
- 1 stalk of celery finely chopped
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground thyme
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cup half and half
- ½ cup sour cream plus extra for garnish
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- green onions chopped for garnish
- In heavy pot over medium heat, cook bacon. Once bacon has been cooked, set it to the side and discard any remaining fat.
- Add in butter and melt
- Add onions to melted butter and cook for 3-4 minutes, until translucent.
- Add garlic, and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add flour, and whisk for one minute, then slowly whisking in the half and half, then chicken broth.
- Once all ingredients are combined, add in the seasonings, potatoes, and celery.
- Bring soup to a simmer and cover halfway.
- Cook for 25 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- While potatoes are cooking, roughly chop the bacon, and keep to the side.
- Once potatoes are tender, lower heat to low and add in chopped bacon (leave some for the toppings), sour cream, and cheese. Gently stir, and wait 2-3 minutes for bacon to heat through and cheese to melt.
- Serve.Top with a dollop of sour cream, chopped green onions, some leftover bacon and cheese.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share it with me on @thebalancingmom and follow on Tiktok @balancingmotherhood and Pinterest @thebalancingmom for more!
What's For Dinner?
Find a recipe for dinner tonight! Get our Top 10 Most Popular recipes ebook sent right to your email.
Leave a Review!