This site contains affiliate links. Please see Disclosure Policies for more information.
Candy Cane Brownies are a rich, chocolate and peppermint brownie topped with a peppermint buttercream frosting.
You might also love our candy cane Kiss cookies made with a white chocolate peppermint Hershey’s kiss.
Christmas brownies are an easy treat to make for a gathering or potluck. There’s literally no mess in serving – just cut into squares and serve.
You’ll love the creamy, homemade buttercream frosting too! But you could just as easily leave it off (but, why?)
- canola oil
- white and brown sugars
- peppermint extract
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- chocolate chips
- peppermint candy or candy canes
- powdered sugar
- heavy whipping cream
How to Make Candy Cane Brownies
Preheat oven to 350 and spay a 9×13 baking pan with pam baking spray
Using a small bowl, whisk together the 2 tbsp of espresso and ¼ cup of water and stir until combined.
Using a medium bow, melt the butter
Using a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, oil, and sugars
Whisk in the eggs and peppermint extract
Using a large bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder
Gradually whisk in the dry ingredients into the wet
Fold in the chocolate chips
Pour batter into the baking pan and sprinkle 1 C of the crushed
peppermint candy on top
Bake for 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool completely
While the brownies are cooling, make the buttercream frosting.
Using a standing mixer, beat the butter, powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream, and peppermint extract until light, creamy and stiff peaks.
Fold in the crushed peppermint candy.
Spread frosting evenly over the brownies.
Want More Peppermint Dessert Recipes?
- Red Velvet Candy Cane Cheesecake
- Peppermint Cheesecake in the Instant Pot
- Chewy Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- 2 Tablespoons instant coffee
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup butter unsalted, melted
- 2 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 4 eggs large
- 1 Tablespoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup flour all-purpose
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- ¾ Teaspoon salt
- ½ Teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup crushed peppermint candy or candy canes
- 1 cup unsalted butter unsalted and softened
- 3 cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons peppermint extract
- 1 cup peppermint candy crushed
- Preheat oven to 350. Spay a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In small mixing bowl, whisk together instant coffee and hot water. Stir to combine and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, oil, and white and brown sugars.
- Whisk in the eggs and peppermint extract.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder.
- Gradually whisk in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking pan and sprinkle one cup of the crushed candy canes on top and gently press into the top. This step can be omitted if you prefer to have the candy canes just in the icing.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely
- Frosting Directions:
- Using a standing mixer, beat the butter, powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream, and peppermint extract until light and fluffy. Stiff peaks should form.
- Fold in the crushed peppermint candies.
- Spread frosting evenly over cooled brownies.