This site contains affiliate links. Please see Disclosure Policies for more information.
This easy beer cheese dip recipe is the perfect appetizer to make for game day or if you want a quick snack to share with friends. Served hot or cold with a variety of foods to dip in it, it will be a crowd favorite at your next party!
As you know, we love great dips in our home, especially ones that are easy to make like this crack dip recipe and our favorite easy buffalo chicken dip. So, with the big game coming up I thought what better way to enjoy it with two of my favorite things, beer, and cheese. Say hello to this easy dip!
Easy Beer Cheese Dip
I love making this cheesy recipe because it is one of the easiest appetizers to make. With a few ingredients and less than 15 minutes, you will be enjoying this simple appetizer for game day.
My Favorite Part of the Beer Cheese Dip for Pretzels
What is there not to love about this simple beer cheese dip for pretzels?
I love how easy it comes together and the smooth texture it creates. It can be served both hot and cold and can also be adapted to a crockpot! You can use regular, hard pretzels or soft, pretzels from the oven.
Best Beer Cheese Dip Ingredients
- Cream Cheese – I don’t think you can ever make a good cheese dip without cream cheese right? The cream cheese is the perfect addition to this beer cheese dip to give it the creamy texture you love!
- Cheddar Cheese, Shredded – With a few different versions of cheddar cheese, choose the one that fits your mood the best. I usually like to use medium or even sharp cheddar cheese for a richer flavor for the beer cheese dip.
- Monterey Jack Cheese – Monterey Jack Cheese pairs so nicely with the other cheeses and the beer for this recipe. You want to make sure that you get a block of it rather than the already shredded kind because it melts so much better for this recipe.
- Garlic Salt – Add a little garlic salt to this recipe for a bit of flavor!
- Lager Beer – When it comes to selecting a beer for this recipe grab a Yuengling or a Dos Equis. Both of these beers help make this the best beer cheese dip you can find.
How to Make this Beer Cheese Dip Recipe
With not a lot of prep and just a few minutes on the stove, you will have this recipe ready for your guests to enjoy in no time!
- In a saucepan, add your cream cheese and beer to the pan on medium heat. Whisk until smooth.
- Once this has melted, add in the garlic salt.
- Then add the shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese. Add this slowly and mix in between allowing the cheese to begin to melt.
- Stir until smooth.
- Serve warm or cold, however, you prefer.
- Serve with traditional shape pretzels or soft pretzels.
Tips and Notes
- Buy blocks of cheese. I know the bags of shredded cheese are super convenient, but they just don’t melt very well, so you will want to buy the blocks and shred them yourself.
- Room Temperature Cheese is Best. If you have the time, shred the cheese and then let it sit and get to room temperature. This helps it melt into the beer cheese dip easily.
- Stay away from hard cheeses. While we all love hard cheeses, they lack moisture, making it very hard to melt and become smooth. If you want to try using different cheeses than the ones in the recipe use ones that melt easily such as Mozzarella, Pepper Jack, or a White American Cheese.
- This dip can be served both warm and cold.
Does Beer Cheese Dip Have Beer in it?
This sounds silly, but it does get asked. Yes, beer cheese is made with 1 cup of Lager beer.
Best Beer to Use?
With lots of beer options out there you want to choose the best for this appetizer. I recommend Lager beer like a Yuengling or a Dos Equis. Other popular choices are:
- Stout Beer
- Wheat Beer
- Brown Ales
How Do I Store Beer Cheese Dip?
Store your cheese dip in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days. I like to warm mine back up, but some like it cold.
How Can I Reheat Beer Cheese Dip?
To reheat this dip you will want to microwave it in a microwavable safe bowl for 30 seconds at a time stirring in between. Once at the desired temperature, enjoy.
To reheat on the stove, warm at low heat, stirring to melt the cheese.
Can you Freeze Beer Cheese Dip?
I do not recommend freezing beer cheese dip. When the dip freezes, the cream cheese then begin to separate from the dip creating a weird texture that is not appetizing once thawed.
Can I Thicken My Beer Cheese Dip?
If you find that your dip is a bit runny you can thicken it by using cornstarch or flour.
You will want to mix one tablespoon cornstarch or flour in a small bowl with two tablespoons of the cheese sauce. Mix until smooth and then add it back into your dip. Continue to do this until it is the thickness you are looking for.
Should I Serve the Dip Hot or Cold?
This beer cheese dip is really versatile because it can be served both warm and cold.
When served warm it is more of a dip and when served cold it is more of a spread for crackers.
How you serve it is really up to you!
Beer Cheese Dip in the Crockpot
This recipes adapts to a crockpot very easily. I usually still follow the same simple ingredients in the recipe and then once warmed, I transition it to a small crockpot and set the temperature to keep warm. This way it stays warm all night long.
What Can I Dip in It?
People love dipping traditional pretzels as well as soft pretzels in beer cheese. But there are other great options. Try dipping:
- Your favorite crackers
- Raw broccoli
Looking for other great Appetizers?
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 8 oz cheddar cheese shredded
- 8 oz Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 cup Lager Beer something like Yuengling or Dos Equis
- Add the cream cheese and beer to a pan over medium heat. Whisk until smooth.
- Once melted together, add garlic salt, cheeses.
- Stir until smooth.
- Serve with pretzels or chips.