This site contains affiliate links. Please see Disclosure Policies for more information.
This pineapple cheeseball recipe is an old family favorite that we LOVE. It’s the perfect appetizer for a family gathering, holiday get together, football parties … any time you have people over! It’s the PERFECT party pleaser! You’ll never buy a cheeseball again after making this simple recipe.
Basically, this Pineapple Cheese Ball is the easiest appetizer any time of year, for all occasions. The pineapple, seasonings, peppers mixed in the cream cheese are perfect combination of sweet and savory.
This cheese ball is a hit and you can make it extra festive for Christmas with red and green peppers. Another great appetizer we love is the jalapeno bacon poppers.
This pineapple cheeseball recipe comes from my husband’s family. A few of his sisters have been using this recipe at Christmas parties for years. It’s where I had it for the first time. I fell in love and have been making it ever since.
Every time I bring this pineapple cheeseball to a party I get asked for the recipe. Every. Single. time.
It looks sophisticated – and expensive! But, it’s so easy to make. You won’t believe how easy it is to make a cheeseball. And, you can make one large cheeseball, or make two smaller ones.
The creamy texture of the cream cheese combined with the sweet pineapple pieces make for a tropical, yet savory flavor that’s a perfect appetizer treat.
Pineapple Cheeseball Ingredients
crushed pineapple — I like the crushed instead of chunky pineapple because it blends in with the cream cheese easier. Just be sure to squeeze all the juice out. This is a step you can’t omit or the cheeseball will be watery and won’t form a solid ball.
green and red peppers — I love to serve this pineapple cheeseball recipe at Christmas! The chopped red and green peppers add just the perfect holiday colors! Add some sliced peppers on the side for added color.
seasoned salt — I’ve always loved seasoned salt and it’s perfect in this pineapple cheeseball recipe. The flavors are a perfect juxtaposition with the pineapple. Seasoned salt is a combo seasoning with paprica, tumeric, onion, and garlic.
chopped onion — there isn’t a lot of onion in this recipe, but it add just the right amount of flavor.
cream cheese — use two blocks of softened cream cheese. It’s important for the cream cheese to be soft or it won’t mix together properly. Just leave it to get to room temperature for a few hours before you are going to mix the cheeseball recipe.
pecans — these add a great texture to the cheeseball. You can roll them inside the cheeseball, or place them on the outside. We like the outside so the cheeseball looks finished. You can also leave the nuts out if you really don’t like it. Just make sure to really chill your cheeseball before serving. The pecans help hold it all together.
How to make a Pineapple Cheeseball
- This cheeseball recipe can’t be easier. Start by straining the pineapple. Be sure to get all the juice out as it will make the cheeseball too wet.
- After chopping the onion and peppers, just mix all the ingredients together. You can even use your hands if you want!
- Roll the mixture into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until the cheeseball is firm.
- Then, remove the plastic and roll in chopped pecans. Wrap back up and refrigerate overnight. Serve with crackers and veggies.
What to Serve with Your Cheeseball?
Any type of cracker works well with a cheeseball. We use Ritz-type crackers and Triscuits. You’ll want a cracker that’s stable and won’t crumble.
Pretzels are another great option to serve with this pineapple. The addd salt on the pretzel adds a great flavor to the cheese.
We love to julienne red and green peppers at Christmastime. Make it really festive.
How Long Can a Cheeseball Set Out?
Although it’s probably safe to eat if you let a cheeseball set out, you should refrigerate a cheeseball after about two hours of it being at room temperature.
How Do You Store a Cheeseball?
You can store this cheeseball in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
How Long Can You Freeze a Cheeseball?
You can freeze a cheeseball to serve at a later date. For best results, wrap the cheeseball in plastic wrap without the nuts and place in a zip top freezer bag.
You can keep it in the freezer for up to a month. Just refrigerate to thaw and then roll in nuts before serving.
Looking for More Appetizers?
- 2 8 oz. packages cream cheese room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon onion finely chopped
- 1/2 – 1 green pepper chopped
- 1/2 – 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 small can crushed pineapple 8 oz.
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt I like Lawry's
- 2 cups pecans chopped
- In large mixing bowl, mix ingredients together using mixer.
- Form the mixture into one large ball (it's pretty big), wrap with plastic wrap and chill in fridge for several hours.
- Take out and and roll in chopped pecans. Wrap in waxed paper and chill overnight.
- Serve with crackers and cut, fresh vegetables.
What's For Dinner?
Find a recipe for dinner tonight! Get our Top 10 Most Popular recipes ebook sent right to your email.