There are so many options for Halloween cupcakes, but I like to opt for ideas that are easy, yet have the look of being fancy or difficult. These witch hat Halloween cupcakes are made with simple ingredients and will be the start of any Halloween party!
We decided to do little witch hats because they look so cute. I’m not a fan of scary things for Halloween and witches can get pretty ugly and sometimes frightening, but these Halloween cupcakes turn the witch into something very cute by using her hat. It even kind of reminds me of the witch from The Wizard of Oz.
Halloween Cupcake Ingredients
These cute witch hat cupcakes are the perfect treat and represent Halloween so well. They look pretty complicated, but are relatively easy to make using some pre-made ingredients you can pick up at the grocery store. Before you know it you’ll have Halloween witch hat cupcakes.
- Sugar ice cream cones
- Cupcake mix (we used a box cake mix)
- White frosting
- Green food coloring
- Pre-made orange and purple decorating icing
- Black color mist spray
Just a few regular ingredients make this super easy.
Mix some green food coloring into vanilla icing.
Bake vanilla cupcakes according to the box directions.
This is the only complicated part … use a bag with tip to pipe the green icing out. You can also do this with a zip top bag and cut a small hole in the corner, piping a stream of icing in a circular motion on top of the cupcakes.
Lay out the sugar cones on some wax or parchment paper.
Using the color mist food coloring spray, spray each cone black. Give yourself some room here and be sure to cover your counter well. It’s not super messy, but if you have too small a piece of parchment, you may overspray and get the black somewhere other than on the sugar cone.
Just keep turing and place upright to let air dry.
Continue until all the witch hats are all colored completely.
Take the purple coloring and pipe a thin purple line around the base of each witch hat. Leave about a 1/2 inch from the bottom of the cone so you have room to place it on the green icing.
Use the orange piping frosting to put a small square on top of each purple line. This will look like the witch’s buckle.
Ice your cupcakes with the green frosting, and put the finished cones on top of the green icing.
These Halloween cupcakes are so cute and easy. People won’t know you used store bought ingredients to make these!
Cute little witch hat cupcakes are such a fun treat!
Halloween Witch Hat Cupcakes
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 6 ice cream sugar cones
- 1 can white frosting
- green food dye
- Wilton Color Mist Spray - black
- purple icing
- orange icing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 6 cup cupcake pan with liners.
- Prepare the cake mix according to directions. Pour into the cupcake pan.
Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool.
- Add store bought frosting into a bowl. Add green food coloring and mix until desired color of green.
- Pipe the green frosting onto the cupcakes and then set aside.
- Spray the sugar cones with the color mist. Set aside and let dry.
- Once the sugar cones (witch hats) are dry, pipe the purple icing at the base like a ribbon. Use the orange icing to draw buckle on in the center of the ribbon.
- Set the sugar cone on top of the green frosting.
Get the Menu Planner
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.