I found this little recipe in the most recent issue of Real Simple magazine on a page titled “chocolate chips.” WHOA! It was this little listing at the bottom of page 44 and I almost missed it. Intrigued, I tore out the page and set it aside thinking I might try to make it. At the same time, I wondered what the heck is chocolate butter anyway?
I’m so glad I was intrigued enough to make this one and you will be too!
Mix together and you get this decadent chocolate dream. It doesn’t taste like butter, but it does taste like butter — only better.
So, what do you use chocolate butter on?
It’s perfect for a warm croissant. If the butter is room temperature it spreads like plain butter. But who wants plain butter when you can have chocolate butter? I’d say it’s similar to Nutella in spreadability. Yeah, I just made the word spreadability up.
But, what I LOVED with this chocolate butter was a warm stack of whole wheat pancakes with maple syrup. The heat from the pancakes gently melted the chocolate butter and added the most delicious flavor. Seriously better than just adding chocolate chips to the batter. This butter adds a level of richness to the pancakes.
You have to make this. You won’t regret it. Make it for Valentine’s day. Make it for Mother’s Day. Make it for Easter. Make it for no reason!
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Make sure butter is at room temperature.
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave in 30 second increments, stir after each 30 seconds. This shouldn't take more than 3 times or a max of 1 minute, 30 seconds. Chips won't look melted until you stir them. You can also put chips in double boiler to melt.
- Add ingredients into mixing bowl in order listed.
- Mix on low until smooth. Make sure to get all butter parts incorporated into the chocolate.
- Put chocolate butter into serving bowl. You can eat it right away or let it firm a little bit.
- Store in the refrigerator, but it's best served at room temperature.
What's For Dinner?
Find a recipe for dinner tonight! Get our Top 10 Most Popular recipes ebook sent right to your email.