Deliciously hot and bubbly Chicken Enchiladas with White Sauce are a super flavorful, melt-in your-mouth meal that’s sure to satisfy all your Mexican cravings.
Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
Mexican food has always been a family favorite at my house and is requested on a regular basis. Where some Mexican recipes can be a little labor intensive, this recipe couldn’t be easier to make. With just a few simple ingredients this dish is ready in 45 minutes or less!
Filled with ooey gooey cheese, shredded chicken and topped with a decadent sour cream sauce, this is truly the best enchiladas recipe you’ll ever make. They are so much better than the ones you get from a Mexican Restaurant, especially when you wash them down with one of these homemade Watermelon Margaritas.
If you absolutely adore Mexican inspired recipes as much as we do, you’ll definitely want to try these recipes for Beef Enchiladas, Chicken Tortilla Soup and Frito Pie Casserole.
Why We Love this Recipe:
- Mild flavor: Preparing a meal the whole family can enjoy is always a bonus. The flavors in this recipe aren’t too spicy making it a great recipe for the kiddos. Even your picky eaters will be asking for seconds!
- Easy recipe: This recipe calls for basic ingredients and is ready for the oven in only 10 minutes!
- Homemade white sauce: The best part of this recipe is the decadent homemade white sauce you pour over the top of the enchiladas. It gives them a delicious authentic flavor that you just can’t get from any store-bought sauce.
What’s Needed for These Creamy Enchiladas with White Sauce Recipe?
For the Chicken Mixture
- Flour tortillas, taco size
- Cooked chicken
- Monterey jack cheese
For the Sour Cream White Sauce:
- All-purpose flour
- Chicken broth
- Sour cream
- Green chilies
- Green onions for garnish
How to Make Creamy White Chicken Enchiladas
Preheat oven to 425. Spray a 9×13 glass baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
Step One: Fill the Tortillas
In medium-sized mixing bowl, combine shredded chicken, 1 cup of cheese, and onion. Divide the mixture evenly down the center of each tortilla.
Roll each tortilla and place seam side down in casserole dish.
Step Two: Make the White Sauce
In a medium-skillet melt butter then stir in the flour and cook on medium heat for one minute. Add chicken broth, salt and pepper, whisking until smooth. Cook until sauce thickens and bubbles, stirring frequently.
Add in sour cream and green chilies.
Step Three: Bake
Pour sauce over the top of the enchiladas. Top with remaining cheese and bake on 425 for 20-25 minutes.
Yes, but keep in mind that soft tortillas will become a little soggy the longer they sit. If your family is like mine that isn’t an issue at all because they still taste amazing.
Variations and Substitutions for the Best White Chicken Enchiladas:
- Chicken: For the shredded chicken, you can boil an entire chicken in a pot or use your Instant Pot, bake it in the oven, or even use Rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.
- Cream Sauce: The tartness in the sour cream gives the creamy sauce the perfect balance of flavor. If you are looking for a substitute, you can use Greek yogurt for a similar flavor.
- Red enchilada sauce: You can easily change up the sauce the next time you make these enchiladas by using 1/2 red sauce and 1/2 of the creamy white sauce. The combination of the two sauces is really tasty.
- Cheeses: You can use any of your favorite melting cheeses. Cheddar, pepper jack cheese or a Mexican blend all work great.
- Seasonings: Green chilis provides most of the flavor in this recipe, but if you want a spicier or more robust flavor, feel free to add a little cumin, garlic powder or chili powder to taste. You can even use a packet of taco seasoning for a short cut.
How to Serve these Easy Chicken Enchiladas
They are absolutely amazing the way they are, but you can serve them topped with a little bit of sour cream, Homemade Guacamole or some pico de gallo.
If you are feeding a crowd, you may want to serve these creamy chicken enchiladas with a savory side dish of black beans, refried beans, Mexican rice or a few tortilla chips.
Are White Tortillas or Corn Tortillas Better with Enchiladas?
This is mostly a personal preference because either one works really well. If you opt for corn tortillas, you will need to heat them slightly so they will be pliable enough to wrap.
To do so, heat them in a large skillet with a little vegetable oil for just a few seconds. Or you can lay them flat on a baking sheet and heat them in a preheated 400-degree oven just until they are warm
Want More Chicken Recipes?
- Chicken Tetrazzini
- Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Chicken Pot Pie
- Chicken and Dumplings
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Crescent Ring
Chicken Enchiladas with White Sauce
- 10 flour tortillas taco size
- 3 cups chicken cooked and shredded
- 2 cups Jack cheese shredded
- ½ onion diced
For the white sauce:
- 3 Tbsp. butter unsalted
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 7 oz. diced green chilies
- green onions garnish
- Preheat oven to 425. Spray a 9×13 glass baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In medium-sized mixing bowl, combine shredded chicken, 1 cup of cheese, and onion. Divide the mixture evenly between the tortillas, placing the meat mixture down the middle of each tortilla. Roll each tortilla and place seam-side down in baking dish.
- In a medium-skillet melt butter then stir in the flour and cook for one minute. Add chicken broth, and salt and pepper, whisking until smooth. Cook until sauce thickens and bubbles, stirring frequently. Add in sour cream and green chilies.
- Pour sauce over the top of the enchiladas. Top with remaining cheese and bake for 425 for 20-25 minutes.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don’t forget to share it with me on @thebalancingmom and follow on Tiktok @balancingmotherhood and Pinterest @thebalancingmom for more!
What's For Dinner?
Find a recipe for dinner tonight! Get our Top 10 Most Popular recipes ebook sent right to your email.
Leave a Review!