This site contains affiliate links. Please see Disclosure Policies for more information.
Chewy chocolate gingersnap cookies are a variation of the traditional gingerbread-flavored crispy Christmas cookie. This chewy version uses brown sugar, molasses, gingerbread seasonings, and chocolate to bring out an amazing chocolate gingerbread flavor.
You might also like our chewy chocolate peppermint cookies!
What Are Gingersnap Cookies?
Gingersnaps are cookies that are traditionally very crispy and make a snapping sound when you bite into them. They are made with gingerbread.
Our version is a chewy gingersnap with chocolate!
- brown sugar
- flour, baking powder, and baking soda
- cocoa and chocolate chips
- cinnamon, cardamom, and ground cloves
How to Make This Cookie Recipe
In a large mixing bowl or electric mixer, combine brown sugar, melted butter, vanilla, and molasses. Gradually add the melted butter and whisk until smooth.
Next, sift the cocoa powder and add to the other ingredients. Stir to combine.
Mix in the flour, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, and ground cloves.
Add the mini chocolate chips and gently fold them in the cookie dough.
Cover the cookie dough with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Prep cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Pour sugar into the small bowl. Set aside.
Using a small cookie scoop make small balls of dough and roll each one in white sugar until they’re coated. Place sugar-coated balls on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
Using the bottom of a glass, grently press each ball down. Be careful not to make them too flat.
Bake for 10-11 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly on cookie sheet.
Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Want More Christmas Cookies?
- Christmas Wreath Cornflake Cookies
- Chewy Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- Pinwheel Sugar Cookies
- Cranberry and White Chocolate Cookies
- Peanut butter balls
- 1 C brown sugar
- 3/4 C unsalted butter melted
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 C molasses
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 C flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 C cocoa powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 3/4 C chocolate chips mini
- 1/4 C sugar for coating
- In a large mixing bowl or electric mixer, combine brown sugar, melted butter, vanilla, and molasses. Gradually add the melted butter and whisk until smooth.
- Next, sift the cocoa powder and add to the other ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Mix in the flour, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, and ground cloves.
- Add the mini chocolate chips and gently fold them in the cookie dough.
- Cover the cookie dough with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
What's For Dinner?
Find a recipe for dinner tonight! Get our Top 10 Most Popular recipes ebook sent right to your email.