These white chocolate muddy buddies are an indulgent and delicious treat that you won’t want to put down. Perfect for parties, this crowd-pleasing sweet snack mix is quick to prepare and even quicker to disappear.
Sometimes the simplest treats are the best ones, and that’s certainly the case with these addictively delicious white chocolate muddy buddies. White chocolate, Chex cereal, and powdered sugar are the only three ingredients in this easy recipe, but it’s a perfect combination, resulting in a mix that’s both creamy and crunchy, with a sweet sugary finish.
This tasty treat is a guaranteed hit at parties, loved by kids and adults alike, but it’s so simple to make that it’s also perfect for an easy dessert or a quick snack. You can even use it to replace your popcorn on movie nights, or package it and give it as gifts. Try this delicious and versatile recipe next time you need a super easy treat that’s sure to impress.
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Recipe
- Simple – With just three simple ingredients, this no bake recipe is quick, easy, and inexpensive.
- Kids love it – These treats are super popular with kids, and this is a great recipe if you’re looking for something easy that the kids can help with.
- Great snack – These treats make a great easy snack or dessert, but they’re also delicious enough to serve at a party.
- Gift – This popular and easy treat makes a great gift or party favor. Just package it in a clear cellophane bag with some colored ribbon. It’s great for birthday parties or holiday parties.
- Holidays – use this sweet treat as reindeer chow at Christmas time
- Chex cereal – rice cereal version
- White chocolate chips (or candy melts)
- Powdered sugar
How to Make White Chocolate Muddy Buddies
Step One: Prepare the Ingredients
- Add 1 cup of powdered sugar to a large zip top bag and set it aside for later.
- Add 4 cups of Chex cereal to a large bowl.
- Microwave the white chocolate chips for 25 seconds. Stir and continue to heat in 10-15 second increments until the chips are completely melted and smooth. (Note: you can also use a double boiler to melt the chocolate, if you prefer.)
Step Two: Coat the Cereal
- Add the melted chocolate to the mixing bowl containing the Chex cereal and stir to coat the cereal completely.
- Using a large serving spoon, scoop the white chocolate coated Chex into the zip top bag containing the powdered sugar.
- Seal and shake the bag to coat the cereal with powdered sugar.
Step Three: Cool and Set
- Empty the coated cereal pieces onto a cookie sheet in a single layer and spread them evenly around the sheet.
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes, until the chocolate is completely set.
- Serve or store for later.
Tips and Suggestions
- You can place a piece of parchment paper or wax paper on the cookie sheet to keep your muddy buddies from sticking to the sheet.
- Spray or rub coconut oil on the large spoon before mixing the cereal and chocolate, to prevent the chocolate from sticking to the spoon.
- Add a bit of coconut oil or shortening to the white chocolate before heating to help the mixture to melt more smoothly.
- Try substituting melted butterscotch chips or regular chocolate for the white chocolate chips.
- Melt some peanut butter with the white chocolate chips to make white chocolate peanut butter muddy buddies.
- For some extra color, mix rainbow sprinkles in with the cereal and melted white chocolate, before covering with the sugar.
- Add a little bit of cinnamon to the powdered sugar for more flavor.
How Do I Store White Chocolate Muddy Buddies?
You can store these in an airtight container at room temperature for a few days or in the fridge for up to a week.
Can I Make a Gluten Free Version?
Yes! Corn Chex and Rice Chex cereal are both gluten free, and most white chocolate chips should be gluten-free as well but check your ingredients list to be sure.
Can I Mix in Other Ingredients?
Sure – feel free to get creative and add your favorite treats! Try M&M candies, chocolate covered almonds, mini marshmallows, freeze-dried strawberries, pretzels, or even mini Oreo cookies.
More Muddy Buddy Recipes
White Chocolate Muddy Buddies
- 4 cups Chex cereal
- 1 cup white chocolate chips or white candy melts
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- Place confectioners sugar in a gallon-sized zip top bag and set aside.
- Measure Chex cereal into a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Place white chocolate chips in a small microwave-safe bowl and melt for 25 seconds. Stir and reheat as needed. (You can also add a bit of coconut oil or shortening to make the mixture more silky. Do not add coconut oil to candy melts.)
- Pour the melted white chocolate chips over the Chex cereal and stir to coat.
- Scoop the Chex cereal into the bag with the powdered icing sugar, then seal and shake to coat the cereal completely with the confectioners sugar.
- Pour the cereal mixture onto a cookie sheet and spread out, allowing the white chocolate to set completely, approximately 30 minutes. Storing in an air tight container.
What’s For Dinner?
Find a recipe for dinner tonight! Get our Top 10 Most Popular recipes ebook sent right to your email.