These incredibly tasty Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Sandwiches feature tender and juicy roast beef that’s perfectly seasoned and cooked in smoky BBQ sauce. Shredded and served on pillowy soft buns, these finger-licking good sandwiches are always a crowd-pleaser.
Slow Cooker Barbecue Beef Sandwiches
This recipe is for all the BBQ lovers out there! Juicy roast beef is cooked low and slow, allowing it to soak up all the incredibly sweet and tangy flavors of the mouth-watering BBQ sauce. The beef is shredded and added to sandwich buns of your choice for an easy, hands-off meal the entire family will flip over.
One of the best things about this recipe is you don’t have to break out the grill to enjoy all those wonderful BBQ flavors. All you do is add the roast to the insert of your slow cooker, throw in a few simple ingredients, then set and forget it. The crockpot does the rest of the work for you! You’ll come home to a kitchen filled with the amazing aroma of BBQ beef and a meal that’s ready to serve.
Why We Love This Recipe
- Simple recipe: This recipe uses fresh beef with just a few other simple ingredients you get from your local grocery store.
- Tender, flavorful beef: As the beef slow cooks, it becomes incredibly tender while the flavor of the sauce infuses every single bite. It’s much better than any BBQ you get at your local BBQ joint.
- Easy preparation: With a crock pot, this easy meal recipe practically cooks itself. Simply combine the ingredients, set it to slow cook and you’re out of the kitchen! It’s a great way to enjoy BBQ in warmer weather.
- Feeds a crowd: Whether you’re hosting a party or headed to a potluck, this recipe makes generous portions. You can easily use a larger-sized roast if you’re feeding a lot of people.
- Beef roast
- Onion powder
- Garlic salt (or garlic powder)
- Black pepper
- Smoked paprika
- Cajun seasoning
- BBQ sauce
- Cheddar cheese, optional
How to Make Slow-Cooker Barbecue Beef Sandwiches
Step One: Season the Beef
- The first thing you do is combine the onion powder, garlic salt, black pepper, paprika, and Cajun seasoning to a small bowl and mix it together.
- Sprinkle this seasoning on both sides of the roast. You can be as generous with the season as you prefer.
Step Two: Add the Beef to the Crock Pot
- Next, place the beef in the bottom of the slow cooker.
Step Three: Add the Sauce
- Finally, pour 1 cup of BBQ sauce over the roast.
Step Four: Cook Until Tender, Shred and Serve
- Then just put the lid on the cooker and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours until it falls apart with a fork.
- Shred the meat with a couple of forks and add the remaining 1 cup of bbq sauce to the slow cooker, stir to combine.
- Serve the shredded beef on hamburger buns with sliced cheddar cheese if you prefer.
Variations and Add-ins for Barbecue Sandwiches
- Sweet pulled beef: You can add all sorts of ingredients to make store-bought taste just like homemade barbecue sauce. If you like a sticky sweet sauce, add in about 1/4 cup of brown sugar or a few tablespoons of maple syrup.
- Savory beef sauce: For more savory sauce you can add several dashes of Worcestershire sauce or a few drops of liquid smoke.
- Spicy beef: For a kick of heat, you can add a pinch of cayenne pepper, chili powder, red pepper flakes or sliced jalapenos or even pepperoncini peppers.
- Tangy BBQ sauce: Add a tangy twist to the beef by adding a little apple cider vinegar, red wine vinegar or fresh lime juice to the sauce. The acidity gives the shredded meat great balance.
- Swap for pork: You can make this same recipe using a pork shoulder if you prefer. The cook time will take 8-10 hours.
What Type of Beef is Best for Shredded BBQ Sandwiches?
For best results, pick cuts of meat that are well-marbled. Boneless chuck roast or beef brisket are great options for tender, melt-in-your-mouth shredded beef. You’ll want to avoid lean cuts like an eye of round or sirloin because the beef can dry out or can sometimes be tough when shredded. Keep in mind the cooking time will vary based on the size and cut of beef you use.
What Side Dishes Go with Crockpot BBQ Beef Sandwiches
From classics to something more decadent, this slow cooker BBQ beef recipe will go with just about any of your favorite side dishes. Hot German potato salad, creamy coleslaw, baked beans, cucumber salad and homemade baked mac and cheese are some of our favorites.
How to Store Leftover BBQ Beef
Allow your BBQ beef and sauce to cool to room temperature. Transfer it to an airtight container and place it in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. The next day, you can reheat it stove top or in the microwave.
You can also freeze it for up to 3 months. When ready to serve, just thaw it overnight in the refrigerator. Reheat it over medium heat in a saucepan on the stovetop or in the microwave until heated through. If the sauce is too thick, you can add a little extra BBQ sauce or beef broth to loosen it up to the desire consistency.
What are Other Ways to Serve Shredded BBQ Beef?
Of course, this is the perfect recipe to serve as a sandwich on hoagie rolls, brioche buns or as a hearty appetizer on slider buns, but these ideas will take shredded BBQ beef to a new level:
- Tacos: Load up warm hard or soft taco shells tortillas with shredded BBQ beef, cheese, diced tomatoes, lettuce, and sour cream.
- Beefy-loaded baked potatoes: Spoon the juicy shredded BBQ beef onto a fluffy baked potato. Dress it with cheese, sauteed onion, or green onions, and a big dollop of sour cream.
- Nachos: Game days or movie nights will never be the same after serving amazing BBQ beef nachos. Just layer tortilla chips with shredded BBQ beef, melted cheese, black beans, jalapeños, and an extra drizzle of BBQ sauce.
- Quesadillas: Place some of the beef mixture with some shredded cheddar between tortillas. Brown in a skillet or a griddle until golden and crispy. Top them with your favorite salsa, guacamole, and a little sour cream.
- Pizza: You can make an epic pizza by adding some of this shredded BBQ beef as a topping for homemade or store-bought pizza dough.
- Salads: Add extra protein to your next salad by scattering shredded BBQ beef over a bed of mixed greens. Add your favorite salad toppings and drizzle with your favorite dressing.
More Delicious Recipes You Can Make in the Slow Cooker
- Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
- Crockpot Smokies
- Slow Cooker Chicken Teriyaki
- Crockpot Beef Stew
- Simple Slow Cooker Chili
- Crockpot Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken
Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Sandwiches
- 2 pounds beef roast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 2 cups bbq sauce
- 4 Buns
- Cheddar cheese optional
- In a small bowl combine the onion powder, garlic salt, black pepper, paprika, and cajun seasoning.
- Sprinkle the seasoning on both sides of the roast.
- Place the roast into the slow cooker.
- Pour 1 cup bbq sauce over the roast.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours until it falls apart with a fork.
- Shred the meat and add the remaining 1 cup of bbq sauce to the slow cooker, stir to combine.
- Serve on sub buns with sliced cheddar cheese if you prefer.
What’s For Dinner?
Find a recipe for dinner tonight! Get our Top 10 Most Popular recipes ebook sent right to your email.