This site contains affiliate links. Please see Disclosure Policies for more information.
My mother gave me a copy of Food Network magazine – something she knows I would love but wouldn’t spend the money on myself. The issue that I got has a pull out recipe guide to make 50 different brownies and bars — and they have a photo of every one! Man, they look good. I was particularly interested in what they call the birthday cake bar: a sugar cookie base loaded with colorful sprinkles and topped with frosting! I rationed, that since I received this magazine for my birthday, I needed to make the birthday cake bar. And I’m so glad I did.
This bar is amazing — uh-may-zing! It’s everything you want in the perfect sugar cookie with with the added bonus of frosting on top. And, it’s so much easier than making cookies! Mix the batter, spread it in to the dish, flip it over, frost, and cut into bars. Done.
As I was frosting it, I realized this would make the perfect birthday “cake” for someone who doesn’t like cake. Hard to believe, but those people do exist. I don’t understand it, but if we were all the same it would get boring quick! This could be decorated with Happy Birthday letters and candles, sing Happy Birthday to the birthday boy or birthday girl, and then cut slices for the guests.
Which ever way you serve it, be sure to make this. It’s a winner!
Sugar Cookie Bars
- 2 sticks butter melted
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sprinkles plus extra for decorating the top
- 4 Tablespoons butter 1/2 stick, softened
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 cups powder sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup milk or cream
Sugar Cookie Bars
- Preheat oven to 350
- Melt 2 sticks of butter. While butter is cooling, prepare a 9x 13 baking dish by lining it with foil, leaving extra to hang over the sides of the dish.
- Coat foil with cooking spray
- Pour cooled, but not cold, melted butter into mixing bowl.
- Mix in sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- Add flour and salt.
- Add sprinkles. Mix until combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared dish.
- Bake until the edges are set, but the middle is soft, approximately 25 minutes.
- Let cool. Pull bar out of pan by pulling on foil, and flip onto large plate or cookie sheet.
- Frost cookie and top with additional sprinkles! Cut into squares and serve.
- In large mixing bowl, mix together vegetable shortening and butter. Mix until creamy.
- Alternate adding one cup powder sugar, and a little of the milk until both are fully incorporated with the shortening/butter mixture.
- Add vanilla.
- Mix until smooth. If frosting is too thick, add more milk, one Tablespoon at a time. If frosting is too thing, add more powder sugar, 1/2 cup at a time. Stir until desired consistency is reached.
- Frost that cookie bar!