This grits casserole is a hearty breakfast filled with creamy cheese grits and maple sausage. It’s the perfect breakfast for a holiday or when company is over.
Grits Breakfast Casserole
I’m always looking for new breakfast casseroles to make for holidays and when we have company over. This easy breakfast casserole with grits and maple sausage is our absolute favorite breakfast to serve when we have guests.
I can’t recall how many times now that I’ve served this dish for breakfast. Everyone absolutely loves it. It can be refrigerated and can be reheated for another morning too!
It’s easy to make and you can make it ahead of time and refrigerate overnight, then just pop it in the oven in the morning. We’ve done this when we’ve had overnight guests so that we didn’t have to be over a hot stove early in the morning, but could still have a great, hot breakfast for our friends and family.
We’ve also made this ahead and brought it camping. It can feed a crowd!
The maple flavoring in the sausage really make this recipe unique. It’s like eating a batch of cheese grits with a side of sausage, but it’s all in a casserole so it’s easier and better!
Grits Casserole Ingredients
- ground maple pork sausage – like Jimmy Dean or other brand
- water – for the grits
- grits – use the quick-cook version
- cheddar cheese – we use sharp cheddar to give a great, cheese flavor
- milk – whole milk it best
- eggs – this will help bind the casserole
- thyme, garlic powder, paprika – for added flavor
How to Make Grits Casserole
Preheat oven to 350
Spray a 9×13 baking pan.
In large skillet, brown sausage, breaking into small pieces. Drain excess grease and set aside.
In large saucepan, bring water to a boil, add grits, cover and reduce heat. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from what, add cheese, milk, thyme, garlic powder. Stir until cheese melts and combines with the grits.
Add in sausage and eggs. Stir to combine.
Spoon mixture into baking dish and sprinkle with paprika.
Bake, uncovered for 1 hour or until golden brown and heated through.
Can You Make This Ahead of Time?
To make this casserole ahead of time, prepare grits mixture as directed, but stop before you bake.
Cover the casserole and refrigerate.
Remove the casserole from refrigerator and let sit on counter for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake as directed.
What To Serve with This Casserole?
Cheesy grits and sausage casserole is a meal in itself, but we like to serve it with a side of fresh fruit like blueberries, strawberries, or whatever fruit you love and is in season.
More Breakfast Recipes
- 2 lbs. ground maple pork sausage like Jimmy dean
- 4 cups water
- 1 ¼ cup quick-cooking grits uncooked
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 eggs
- Parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350
- Spray a 9×13 baking pan.
- In large skillet, brown sausage, breaking into small pieces. Drain excess grease and set aside.
- In large saucepan, bring water to a boil, add grits, cover and reduce heat. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from what, add cheese, milk, thyme, garlic powder. Stir until cheese melts and combines with the grits.
- Add in sausage and eggs. Stir to combine.
- Spoon mixture into baking dish and sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered for 1 hour or until golden brown and heated through.