This delectable Crockpot Cashew Chicken recipe combines tender and juicy pieces of chicken with crunchy cashews, vegetables and a savory sauce to create a mouth-watering fusion of flavors the whole family will love.
Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken Recipe
With this slow cooker recipe, you can say goodbye to that famous Chinese takeout favorite, and hello to this ridiculously easy-to-make, delicious homemade savory cashew chicken. Tender pieces of chicken are sauteed and added to the slow cooker with a flavorful and slightly spicy sauce. As it slowly cooks, the sauce thickens and creates an amazing glaze that coats the chicken.
One of the things you’ll love most about this recipe is that leftovers are even better the next day. You can reheat it just as it is or use some of it as a filling to make easy Asian chicken lettuce wraps. Plus, by making your own version of cashew chicken at home, you get to adjust the ingredients which allows you to customize it to suit your family’s personal tastes.
If your family loves Asian cuisine as much as mine, you should also check out this Instant Pot Orange Chicken and this Beef and Broccoli recipe.
Why We Love This Recipe
- Easy to customize: This is a delicious dinner that the whole family can enjoy because you control the ingredients unlike picking up takeout from your local Chinese restaurants.
- Savory sauce: The cashew sauce has tons of flavor and is made using just a few simple ingredients.
- Convenient: Slow cooking this dish in the crockpot free’s up time as well as space in the kitchen. You add the sautéed chicken and sauce ingredients and in 3-4 hours you come home to a hearty and flavorful meal.
- Chicken tenderloins
- Vegetable oil
- Red bell pepper
- Soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
- Brown sugar
- Fresh garlic
- Black pepper
- Ground ginger
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Sesame seeds
- Scallions (green onions)
How to Make Crock Pot Cashew Chicken
Step One: Coat the Chicken
- In a large bowl or a large freezer bag, add the chicken pieces and the cornstarch. Mix to coat the chicken.
Step Two: Sauté the Chicken
- Heat up the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brown chicken quickly in the pan. We are not looking to cook the chicken through, just a quick stir fry to get a little color on each side.
- Place the browned chicken in the slow cooker.
NOTE: You’re not trying to cook the chicken through, just a quick stir fry to get a little color on each side.
Step Three: Mix the Sauce and Add to the Chicken
- In a medium bowl combine soy sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, pepper, ginger, red pepper flakes and sesame seeds.
- Pour the sauce mixture over the chicken.
Step Four: Add the Peppers
- Chop the red peppers into bite-sized pieces and add them to the crockpot.
Step Five: Add the Cashews and Cook
- Add the crunchy cashews to the sauce ingredients and stir everything to combine.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 3-4 hours.
TIP: You can wait and add the cashews right before serving if you’d like them a little crunchier.
Step Six: Garnish and Serve
Garnish with the scallions and a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Serve over your white rice, brown rice, or any of your favorite rice.
Chinese Cashew Chicken Variations and Add-ins
- Chicken: You can substitute chicken thighs or boneless skinless chicken breasts for the chicken tenders.
- Other veggies: Feel free to add other veggies to this easy slow cooker cashew chicken. Fresh broccoli florets, snap peas and water chestnuts are all great choices to consider.
- Adjust the flavors of the sauce: If you want stronger Asian flavors, you can add a little rice vinegar or a drop or two of sesame oil or oyster sauce to the sauce mixture. You can add more red pepper flakes or some sriracha for a spicy kick.
How Do I Store Leftovers?
Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge or you can freeze them in a freezer-safe container for up to a couple of months.
Can I Make this Easy Cashew Chicken Recipe on the Stove Top?
Absolutely! If you run out of time to add everything to the crockpot you can make this recipe in a Dutch oven or skillet on the stove.
- Coat chicken with cornstarch and sauté chicken for just a few minutes.
- Mix the sauce ingredients.
- Add sauce and peppers to the chicken and simmer until the sauce is thickened and the chicken is completely cooked.
- Mix in the cashews.
- Garnish with scallions and sesame seeds, then serve.
More Easy Crockpot Recipes
- Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
- Crockpot Smokies
- Slow Cooker Chicken Teriyaki
- Crockpot Beef Stew
- Simple Slow Cooker Chili
- Crockpot Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken
Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken
- 2 pounds chicken tenderloins cut into bite size pieces
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup lite or low sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- 4 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds plus more for garnish
- 1 cup cashews
- 3 scallions sliced
- Coat your chicken pieces in cornstarch.
- Heat up the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Brown the chicken quickly in the pan. We are not looking to cook the chicken through, just get a little color on each side.
- Place the browned chicken in the slow cooker.
- Add the chopped red bell pepper.
- In a mixing bowl combine the soy sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, pepper, ginger, red pepper flakes and sesame seeds.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Add the cashews and stir everything to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 3-4 hours.
- Garnish with the scallions and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
- Serve over rice.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don’t forget to share it with me on @thebalancingmom and follow on Tiktok @balancingmotherhood and Pinterest @thebalancingmom for more!
What's For Dinner?
Find a recipe for dinner tonight! Get our Top 10 Most Popular recipes ebook sent right to your email.
Leave a Review!