These fall-off-the-bone Crockpot BBQ Drumsticks will satisfy all your cravings for something sweet, tangy, and savory all in one bite! And the best part is that they’re incredibly easy to make using just a handful of simple ingredients.
Table of Contents
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
This amazing recipe for crockpot honey BBQ drumsticks makes a delicious and easy meal that the entire family will love. Not only are they simple to prepare, but they also pack a wonderful punch of flavor that will leave everyone at the dinner table asking for seconds. Plus, the convenience of using a crockpot allows for hands-off cooking, making it the perfect dinner for busy weeknights.
One of the highlights of this recipe happens right before you serve them. The drumsticks are removed from the slow cooker, basted with more BBQ sauce, then placed under the broiler until the honey and sauce perfectly caramelizes and creates a delightful crispy coating.
Why We Love This Recipe
- They’re finger-licking-good: These crockpot BBQ chicken legs are seasoned with a homemade spice blend, then slow-cooked with your favorite BBQ sauce until they are tender and juicy.
- This is a super simple recipe: With just a few basic ingredients and minimal prep time, you can have dinner waiting on you when you get home at the end of the day.
- The crockpot makes it so convenient: Slow cooking frees up time on busy weeknights or for those times when you need your oven for other things.
- Slow cooker
- Rimmed baking sheet
- Small bowl
- Measuring cup
- Basting Brush
- Parchment paper or foil
- Chicken drumsticks
- Brown sugar
- Black pepper
- Smoked paprika
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Cajun seasoning
- BBQ sauce
How to Make Crock Pot Drumsticks
Place drumsticks in your slow cooker.
Step One: Make the Spice Blend
- In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and Cajun seasoning.
Step Two: Season the Chicken
- Take your seasoning mix and sprinkle it all over the chicken.
Step Three: Add the Sauce
- Drizzle the honey all over the chicken.
- Pour 1 ½ cups of the BBQ sauce into the slow cooker over the chicken.
Step Four: Cook the Drumsticks
- Cover and cook on low 5-6 hours or high 3-4 hours.
Step Five: Broil to Caramelize the Honey BBQ Sauce
- To give these drumsticks the best BBQ flavor, right before serving, remove them with kitchen tongs and place them, in a single layer, on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Brush the drumsticks with the remaining BBQ sauce and broil under the broiler until they are caramelized.
You need to work quickly with the melted almond barks. You can chose to do all the same flavor of chocolate or do half and half like we did here. You can also do one flavor to completion, and then move on the the next flavor of chocolate.
Chicken Drumstick Recipe Variations
Chicken: We used chicken legs for this recipe, but you can use any type of chicken you have on hand. Whether you use chicken thighs, chicken tenders, or even chicken breasts, make sure you adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Spice blend: This recipe uses a simple homemade spice blend, but you can use any store-bought spice rub you prefer.
Adjust the flavors: You can easily adjust the flavors of the sauce. If you like more heat, you can add a pinch of cayenne pepper. For a smokier flavor, add a dash of Worcestershire sauce or a drop or two of liquid smoke. For a sweeter sauce, you can add more honey or brown sugar.
BBQ Sauce: This easy recipe allows you to use any of your favorite BBQ sauce brands. You can also make your own homemade BBQ sauce with ketchup, a little yellow mustard, a few drops of liquid smoke, and a drizzle of honey. Heat in a small saucepan until well warm and the ingredients are well combined.
How Do I Know When Crockpot Chicken Drumsticks are Done?
Dark meat and white meat typically have different cooking times. So, the best way to tell is when the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit on an instant-read meat thermometer.
Another way to tell is to cut into the thickest part of the drumstick and take a look at the color. The meat should look white without any pink remaining.
Can I Freeze Leftover Crock Pot Chicken Legs?
Absolutely! Just allow them to cool, then add them to a freezer bag or other airtight container and freeze for up to a couple of months.
More Amazing Slow Cooker Recipes
- Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
- Crockpot Smokies
- Slow Cooker Chicken Teriyaki
- Crockpot Beef Stew
- Simple Slow Cooker Chili
- Crockpot Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken
Slow Cooker Honey BBQ Drumsticks
- 3 pounds drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- ⅓ cup honey
- 2 cups bbq sauce divided
- Place all your drumsticks in your slow cooker.
- Mix together the brown sugar, pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and cajun seasoning.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mix all over the chicken.
- Drizzle the honey all over the chicken.
- Pour 1 ½ cups of the bbq sauce into the slow cooker over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on LOW 5-6 hours or HIGH 3-4 hours.
- Right before serving place the drumsticks on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper.
- Brush the drumsticks with the remaining bbq sauce and broil under the broiler until they are caramelized, do not let them burn! Keep a close on them under the broiler, you just want to crisp them up a bit.
What’s For Dinner?
Find a recipe for dinner tonight! Get our Top 10 Most Popular recipes ebook sent right to your email.