This easy ice cream cake recipe was such a fun dessert project for my family. Both kids (10 and 7) made this cake — with just a little help from me. I didn’t want them using the “big knives.”
I’d call this semi-homemade. It’s not really a recipe, but an assembly project. The hardest part about making this ice cream cake recipe is waiting 4 hours to eat it! It’s so simple and just requires a frozen pound cake. I’m sure you know the kind: in the shape of a bread loaf in a disposable metal tin that has foldable sides that keep the cardboard lid on. Yeah, that pound cake. I’m sure you could whip up your favorite pound cake to make this a homemade dessert, but sometimes we just need quick and easy. That’s what this dessert is, except, like I said, for the waiting part.
You start by lining a loaf pan with plastic wrap, leaving enough to hang over the edges and to cover the top of the cake when you’re done with the layers. First, turn the pound cake on its side and cut it into thirds, laying one piece on the bottom of the loaf pan. Next, smooth the vanilla ice cream on top. The recipe calls for 1 cup, but use more if you want a thicker layer and if it doesn’t completely cover the pound cake. Next, crush up the chocolate cookies and sprinkle on top. Add another layer of pound cake and top with the chocolate ice cream. Add chopped up candy pieces, the final layer of pound cake (this one I turn upside down so the top of the cake is flat) and add the remaining ice cream. Once that’s smoothed out, pour the chocolate sauce on top until its covered and hardens.
Cover with plastic wrap and freeze overnight or at least four hours. Take out a few minutes before serving and lift the cake out of the pan. Remove the plastic wrap, slice and serve. Half this cake was gone in one sitting at our house. You can try so many variations too. Try different ice cream flavors, and different candies. You could even put caramel in the middle of one of the layers and have it ooze out when you cut into it. Yum!
- 1 frozen pound cake
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream
- 1/4 cup chocolate sandwich cookies
- 1 cup chocolate ice cream
- 1/4 cup chocolate candie
- 1 cup vanilla or chocolate ice cream
- Chocolate sauce Magic Shell or similar brand that hardens
- Read more at: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/ice-cream-layer-cake.html?oc=linkback
- Using large bread knife, slice the pound cake horizontally into 3 pieces.
- Place the first slice in a bread loaf pan lined with plastic wrap.
- Spread vanilla ice cream over pound cake slice
- Put cookies in zip top bag and break up into small pieces (or use food processor)
- Sprinkle chocolate cookie pieces over vanilla ice cream
- Add middle layer of pound cake
- Spread chocolate ice cream on top
- Chop chocolate candie pieces and spread on top of chocolate ice cream
- Top with last piece of pound cake, turning top upside down so it forms a flat surface
- Place the last layer of cake on top, followed by the chocolate chip ice cream.
- Spread last layer of ice cream on top and pour chocolate sauce on top
- Cover with the sides of the plastic wrap and freeze for at least 4 hours
- When ready to serve, pull back the plastic wrap and lift the cake out of the pan, peeling the plastic wrap off. (Note: if eating right from freezer, you may need to let it rest for several minutes to loosen the ice cream from pan before attempting to lift it from the pan.
- Slice with large knife and serve.