These chocolate-glazed air fryer donuts give you the delicious taste of a freshly baked donut in the comfort of your own home. Soft and fluffy yeast donuts with a rich chocolate frosting, these treats are the perfect indulgent breakfast for lazy weekends.
If you love the light and fluffy Krispy Kreme donuts, you’re going to love this copycat recipe. These look and taste just like the “Hot Donuts Now,” that you get from Krispy Kreme.
If you thought yeast donuts were difficult to make, this easy air fryer recipe will change your mind. The yeast is really the key to producing donuts that taste like something you’d get in a donut shop, and the air fryer gives you that delicious deep-fried taste without all the oil, so these are at least a little bit healthier than your average donut.
Although we love this classic chocolate variety, you can use this as a base recipe and have fun experimenting with different toppings, glazes, and frosting flavors to come up with your own donut creations. The whole family will love waking up to these delicious homemade sweet treats.
Table of Contents
💗 Why We Love This Recipe
- These homemade donuts are as good as anything you can buy from a donut shop, and they’re surprisingly easy to make.
- You can change the frosting flavors so that everyone can have their favorite variety.
- This makes a terrific weekend or special occasion breakfast that the whole family will love.
- Since they’re not deep fried, these donuts are a bit lighter and healthier than most, but just as tasty!
- Active dry yeast
- Butter, melted
- Chocolate frosting
🥄 How to Make Chocolate Glazed Air Fryer Donuts
Step One: Make the Dough
- Gently stir the milk, yeast and 1 tbsp of sugar together in a medium bowl. Let the mixture rest for 10 minutes, until it starts to foam.
- Add the egg, sugar, and melted butter, then stir until completely combined.
- Using a stand mixer with a dough hook, slowly add the flour while mixing on low. Once mixed, increase the speed to medium and knead the dough until it forms a ball.
- Place the dough in a large oiled bowl and cover with a damp towel. Let the dough rest for about an hour, or until it doubles in size.
Step Two: Cut the Donuts
- Once dough has risen, remove and roll out onto a floured surface until it’s about 1/2 inch thick.
- Using a circle cutter or a wide mouth mason jar, cut out 10-12 donuts. Then use a smaller hole cutter to punch out a hole in the center of each donut.
- Place the donuts on a rack and cover with plastic wrap. Allow them to rise for 20 minutes.
Step Three: Bake and Frost
- Spray the air fryer basket with oil and place two donuts in the basket.
- Spray the donuts with oil and cook at 350 for 4 minutes on each side.
- Remove donuts from the air fryer and use a fork to dip the donuts halfway into the frosting. Place them back on the rack to cool.
Tips and Suggestions
- Be sure not to overcrowd the air fryer basket, as the donuts will expand while they are cooking.
- After your dough has risen, test it by making an indentation with the tip of your finger. If the indentation remains, it’s ready to roll out.
- Save the dough circles that you cut out from the center of your donuts so you can make donut holes.
- Substitute vanilla, strawberry or any flavor of frosting for the chocolate.
- Instead of frosting, coat the donuts in powdered sugar or toasted coconut.
- Make a maple glaze for your donuts by stirring together 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 5 tablespoons maple syrup.
How Do I Store Chocolate Glazed Air Fryer Donuts?
These will taste best if consumed right away, but if you have leftovers, you can place them in an airtight container and store them at room temperature for 1-2 days.
Can I Freeze Chocolate Glazed Air Fryer Donuts?
You can freeze them unglazed. Once you’re ready to serve them, reheat them in the air fryer before adding the glaze.
Chocolate Glazed Air Fryer Donuts
- 1 cup milk at 100 °F
- 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 stick of butter melted
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate frosting
- In a mixing bowl, gently stir milk, yeast and 1 tbsp of sugar together. Wait 10 minutes for it to start to foam.
- Add sugar, egg, melted butter and egg. Stir until completely combined.
- Using a dough hook, add the flour slowly allowing it to mix on low. Once mixed, increase speed to medium and knead it until dough forms into a ball.
- Place the dough in a large oiled bowl and cover with a damp towel. Let the dough double in size for about an hour.
- Once dough has raised, remove and roll dough out on a floured surface until dough is 1/2 thick.
- Using a circle cutter or a wide mouth mason jar, cut 10-12 donuts out.
- Using a smaller hole cutter, punch out a hole in each donut.
- Place donuts on a rack and cover with plastic wrap. Allow the donuts to rise for 20 minutes.
- Spray the air fryer basket with oil and. Place two donut in basket leaving room to expand. Spray the donut with oil and cook on 350 for 4 minutes on each side.
- Remove donuts and using fork, dip the donuts halfway into the frosting. Place back on the rack to let sit.
What’s For Dinner?
Find a recipe for dinner tonight! Get our Top 10 Most Popular recipes ebook sent right to your email.