This site contains affiliate links. Please see Disclosure Policies for more information.
Ground beef stroganoff is comfort classic as it combines butter, onion, and mushrooms with a lean ground beef and an irresistible creamy sauce. This incredibly easy dish is served on top of egg noodles and ready in under 30 minutes.
GROUND BEEF STROGANOFF
Ground beef stroganoff is a hearty meal with simple ingredients that can feed a lot of people in under 30 minutes. With ingredients you normally have on hand like butter, onion, mushrooms, and noodles, you can pull this comfort classic together in no time making this the perfect weeknight meal like our Buffalo Chicken Pasta recipe.
GROUND BEEF STROGANOFF RECIPE
This ground beef stroganoff recipe combines simple flavors and ingredients to make the most delicious creamy sauce you have ever tasted. Served over a bed of egg noodles you will fall in love with this dish time and time again.
GROUND BEEF STROGANOFF INGREDIENTS
Butter – Butter is used in this dish to help saute the mushrooms, onions, and garlic. It also helps bring a richness to the ground beef stroganoff sauce.
Onion – Choose a sweet onion for this recipe. You will want to chop it into smaller pieces so that it adds to the dish rather than takes away from it with big pieces of onion.
Mushrooms – Mushrooms add so much flavor to this dish, especially after they are sauteed in butter. Mushrooms are a staple in this recipe. Choose from a variety of mushrooms for this dish from white mushrooms to slices or portabella mushrooms. You can’t go wrong adding a variety of different mushrooms.
Clove garlic – I think every main dish needs garlic. On busy nights I grab already minced garlic out of the fridge which helps control the mess of the kitchen. Don’t be afraid to do this.
Ground beef – You will want to choose a leaner ground beef to help cut down on the amount of grease in your dish. I like to use a 90/10 for this dish, but you don’t have to. If you opt for an 80/20 just be sure to drain off the grease after browning so that it does not alter the texture or flavor of the dish.
Beef broth – Beef broth allows the meat to boil in a more flavorful liquid than just water. As beef stroganoff boils in the broth it packs more flavors within the meat adding to the richness of the dish. I like to try and use a lower-sodium beef broth whenever possible. In this ground beef stroganoff, it works great.
Worcestershire – I love using Worcestershire because it helps tenderize the meat and adds a savory flavor at the same time.
All-purpose flour – Flour is used to help thicken the sauce and make it more creamy, thick, and delicious.
Salt and pepper – Never underestimate the power of salt and pepper. They are great spices to use when browning ground beef.
Sour cream – Sour cream gives ground beef stroganoff that creamy sauce that we all know and love. Be sure to use full-fat sour cream for this dish! All I can say is yum!
Wide egg noodles – Wide egg noodles have a different texture than regular noodles making them perfect for beef stroganoff since they are thicker and can soak up all the flavors without becoming soggy.
NOTE ABOUT SOUR CREAM
We’ve listed this as an optional item because some people don’t like the flavor of sour cream and just want the richness of the beef and worcestershire flavors. You can leave it out, or add just a little. The photos we did, don’t contain sour cream so that we could showcase the beef in the dish. If you add sour cream (like we typically do at home) the color will be lighter and creamier. It tastes great either way!
HOW TO COOK GROUND BEEF STROGANOFF
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Add the onions and mushrooms to the melted butter in the large skillet.
- Saute the onions and mushrooms for several minutes until tender.
- Add garlic and stir the onions until they are translucent.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Cook ground beef by breaking into small pieces until completely cooked and brown.
- Drain excess grease from cooked ground beef.
- Add in 1 cup of beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and stir until they are all combined.
- Boil the beef broth mixture and add salt and pepper to taste. When the mixture comes to a rolling boil whisk in flour and the remaining ½ cup beef broth, stirring occasionally.
- Next add the onion and mushroom mixture then return the sauce to a boil. Continue to stir until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream until creamy.
- Cook egg noodles as directed on the package.
- Serve ground beef stroganoff on top of egg noodles.
TIPS AND NOTES FOR COOKING GROUND BEEF STROGANOFF
- When looking to add a garnish or some color to your ground beef stroganoff you can add parsley to the top.
- If your family is not a fan of mushrooms you can omit them from the recipe.
- Wanting a creamier sauce? Try adding 1/2 cup extra of sour cream.
WHAT DO I SERVE WITH BEEF STROGANOFF?
When making Ground Beef Stroganoff I love serving it with vegetables. Typically I serve it with
- A garden salad
- Medley of roasted vegetables
- Green beans
- Brussel Sprouts
CAN I USE OTHER MEATS IN BEEF STROGANOFF?
You can substitute the ground beef for other meats in Stroganoff. It is easily done by substituting it with a ground turkey or pork. If you do this you might want to add some beef bullion cubes so that beef flavor still pulls through in the recipe.
CAN I MAKE GROUND BEEF STROGANOFF AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes, you can easily make ground beef stroganoff ahead of time. You will want to prepare the Stroganoff as directed all the way up to the point of pouring it over the noodles. Then you will let it completely cool and place in the fridge.
When ready, pull out of the fridge and heat up on the stove or in the microwave, prepare your noodles and serve.
HOW DO I STORE GROUND BEEF STROGANOFF?
To store Ground Beef Stroganoff you will want to let it completely cool then place it in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
To reheat this recipe you will want to drain off any of the liquid that has separated out of the sauce and then heat in the microwave until your desired temperature.
CAN I FREEZE GROUND BEEF STROGANOFF?
Yes, you certainly can freeze ground beef stroganoff making this a great meal prep recipe!
Prepare the beef stroganoff as directed, stopping at the point where you pour it over the noodles. You will then let it completely cool, put in an airtight container, and freeze.
Do not freeze it with the noodles because the noodles will become soggy and change the flavor and texture of the Stroganoff.
DO I HAVE TO SERVE BEEF STROGANOFF OVER NOODLES?
The great thing about beef stroganoff is the fact that it is so versatile. You can easily serve this dish over
- Mashed potatoes
- Roasted potatoes
LOOKING FOR OTHER GREAT GROUND BEEF RECIPES? BE SURE TO TRY THESE OUT!
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 1 lb. mushrooms sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 lb. ground beef lean
- 1 ½ cups beef broth
- 1 Tablespoon worcestershire
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup sour cream optional
- Parsley for garnish
- 1 package wide egg noodles
- In large skillet, melt butter over medium heat and saute onions and mushrooms for several minutes. Add garlic and stir until tender and onions are translucent. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, cook ground beef, breaking into small pieces, until brown. Drain excess grease.
- Add in 1 cup of beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Whisk in flour and remaining ½ cup beef broth. Stir to combine.
- Add onion and mushroom mixture and return the sauce to boiling. Continue to stir until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
- Cook egg noodles as directed on package. Serve ground beef stroganoff on top of egg noodles.