This crockpot Mexican casserole is a great recipe that has just about everything you could ever want in a meal. It’s a delicious, healthy, and easy way to satisfy your craving for Mexican food!
Next time you need an easy and delicious dinner recipe for those busy weeknights, give this delicious crockpot Mexican casserole a try. Filled with hearty ground beef and black beans, plenty of healthy veggies, avocado, gooey cheese and Mexican spices, this casserole is bursting with Mexican flavors.
This dish is a lighter and healthier take on Mexican food, but it’s so creamy and delicious that the whole family will love it just as much as any greasy Tex-Mex takeout. We love slow cooker recipes like this one since they’re also incredibly easy. Just put everything in the Crockpot and get on with your day, then come home to a freshly prepared hot meal that’s sure to become a family favorite!
Why We Love This Recipe
- The crockpot does all the work in this easy one-pot meal. All you need to do is toss everything in and give it a stir.
- Move over Taco Tuesday – This casserole is a healthier and equally tasty way to do Mexican food. It’s a hearty and delicious meal that’s full of fresh and simple ingredients.
- It’s a perfect crowd-pleasing dish that you’ll want to bring to parties and potlucks.
- This zesty Mexican dish has tons of great flavor and texture. You can even leave out the beef to make a vegetarian version and it tastes just as good!
- It’s a great way to use up leftover shredded chicken or ground beef.
- Ground beef, browned
- Small onion, diced
- Red enchilada sauce
- Tomatoes with green chiles, drained
- Black beans, rinsed and drained
- Canned corn, rinsed and drained
- Minced garlic
- Taco seasoning
- Corn tortillas, cut into wedges
- Shredded cheese, divided (cheddar or Mexican cheese blend)
- Avocado, diced
- Roma tomatoes, diced
- Freshly chopped cilantro
How to Make Crockpot Mexican Casserole
Step One: Prepare and Bake
- Spray your slow cooker liner with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the ground beef, enchilada sauce, garlic, tomatoes with green chiles, onions, black beans, corn, and taco seasoning to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cook on low heat for 4 to 6 hours.
Step Two: Add Toppings and Finish
- Stir the tortillas and 1 cup cheese into the slow cooker. Smooth the top and then sprinkle over the remaining cheese. Cover the slow cooker and continue cooking for 30 minutes.
- Before serving, top the casserole with the diced avocado, fresh cilantro, and tomatoes.
Tips and Suggestions
- You can brown the ground beef a day ahead of time. Keep it refrigerated in an airtight container, and simply add it to the slow cooker when you’re ready to prepare your casserole. You can also go with a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken for the protein.
- If you need a new idea for your leftovers, try serving them on top of tortilla chips with some sour cream and salsa to make delicious and hearty nachos.
- If you have frozen corn or other veggies in your freezer, you can toss those in frozen rather than using the canned variety.
- Substitute ground turkey or shredded chicken breasts for the ground beef, or leave out the meat and make a vegetarian version.
- Toss in some chopped jalapeno or serrano chiles, chili powder, or hot sauce if you’re looking for extra spice.
- Try red kidney or pinto beans in place of the black beans, or use all three varieties.
How Do I Store Crockpot Mexican Casserole?
Place the leftovers in an airtight container and you can keep them in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Can I Freeze Crockpot Mexican Casserole?
Yes, you can place it in an airtight container and freeze it for up to 3 months. Let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
More Easy Crockpot Recipes
- Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
- Crockpot Smokies
- Slow Cooker Chicken Teriyaki
- Crockpot Beef Stew
- Simple Slow Cooker Chili
- Crockpot Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken
Crockpot Mexican Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef browned
- 1 small onion diced
- 19 ounces red enchilada sauce 1 can
- 10 ounces tomatoes with green chiles drained
- 15.5 ounce black beans rinsed and drained
- 15 ounce corn rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 16 corn tortillas cut into wedges
- 2 cups shredded cheese cheddar divided
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 roma tomatoes diced
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
- Prepare a slow cooker by spritzing the liner with nonstick cooking spray.
- To the slow cooker, add the ground beef, onion, enchilada sauce, tomatoes with green chiles, black beans, corn, garlic, and taco seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.
- Stir the tortillas and 1 cup cheese into the slow cooker. Smooth the top evenly. Top with the remaining cheese. Cover the slow cooker and continue cooking for 30 minutes.
- Before serving, top the casserole with the diced avocado, tomatoes, and cilantro.
What’s For Dinner?
Find a recipe for dinner tonight! Get our Top 10 Most Popular recipes ebook sent right to your email.