This site contains affiliate links. Please see Disclosure Policies for more information.
I love this cornbread recipe. It’s like no other cornbread recipe I’ve ever made. Unlike traditional cornbread, this is light and fluffy. Because it mixes all-purpose flour with cornmeal, it’s not course.
We had quite the cold snap around here on Friday evening, with rain turning into an early snow! It was the perfect evening for a bowl of chili and this cornbread to warm out tummies.
It’s perfect to go along side a bowl of steamy chilli on a cold day.Yet, it’s tasty enough to eat alone. And this recipe doesn’t fall apart when you cut into it or pick it up to eat.Any way you eat your cornbread, this version doesn’t require anything on it. It’s moist enough to eat just as it is, but you can still add butter (or even a bit of honey if you must.)
Sweet and Fluffy Cornbread
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup applesauce unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease 9’ round baking dish (you can use square, but make sure it’s not too large as the cornbread won’t rise enough.)
- Whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients: eggs, milk, melted butter, applesauce, and maple syrup.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring just enough to combine.
- Pour into the prepared dish.
- Bake 25 minutes until lightly golden or a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Be careful to not over bake.
What's For Dinner?
Find a recipe for dinner tonight! Get our Top 10 Most Popular recipes ebook sent right to your email.