Since moving out of Florida I long for spring each year. In North Carolina we have snow in March and we can’t risk planting spring flowers until Mother’s Day so sometimes I have to make spring appear in my house. This colorful pink spring cake did just the trick!
I used bright pink for the buttercream and bright colored chocolate candy pieces that I made on the top.
The cake is just a box mix: don’t hate. I’m a super busy working mom with a blog. Sometimes you have to cut corners. I used a white cake instead of yellow so the white on the inside would stand out against the bright in the pink frosting.
Spring Chocolate Bark
But let’s talk about the chocolate bark decoration. These are so fun to make — and really easy.
I used already-colored candy melts (like these) to make the chocolate bark and chose bright, spring colors. It’s important to use pre-colored candy pieces. I tried white chocolate melts and added food coloring, but it made the chocolate chalky.
Melt the candy melts in a glass bowl in the microwave in 30 second intervals. Stir the candy melts every 30 seconds and put in microwave again. If the candy is almost melted, but not all the way melted, reduce the time in the microwave to 10 seconds.
Do not over stir! The chocolate won’t look melted until you stir it.
Once the chocolate is melted pour you need to work quickly: pout it onto a sheet pan lined with a silpat liner or wax paper.
Spread out with the back of a spoon or a flat cake spatula. Add colorful sprinkles and put in the fridge or freezer to cool. If you put in freezer you only need a few minutes.
Once chilled, pull the spring chocolate bark off the silpat liner and break into pieces. This is the fun part.
Let’s the kids make and break the bark!
Stick it randomly into the top of the cake. Instant spring cake!
- Bake a 3 layer vanilla cake from your favorite recipe or a good box mix.
- 5 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons whole milk
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Colored candy melts or melting chocolate you can use any amount you desire
- With electric mixer, blend butter (softened) and one cup powdered sugar. Let mix on medium-high speed for 5 minutes.
- Turn mixer off and add one cup of powdered sugar and salt. Mix fro 2 minutes.
- Repeat one cup at a time until all sugar is incorporated.
- Add two Tablespoons milk. Blend
- Add final Tablespoon of milk. Blend. (Add more milk if you desire a different consistency)
- Add vanilla
- Blend on medium-high for 2-5 minutes.
- Place in microwave safe dish
- Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir.
- Microwave for 30 more seconds. Stir.
- Continue until candy is melted. If candy is not melted after 2 microwave sessions, reduce time to 20 or 10 seconds.
- NOTE: Chocolate will not look melted until its stirred. Do not overheat the chocolate or it will turn to a paste and can't be remelted.
- Once melted, pour onto lined sheet pan
- Spread out with knife or the back of a spoon
- Top with sprinkles
- Place pan in refrigerator or freezer until firm
- Remove from sheet pan and break into pieces
- Place shards into top of cake
What's For Dinner?
Find a recipe for dinner tonight! Get our Top 10 Most Popular recipes ebook sent right to your email.