This Homemade Twix Bars recipe tastes just like the original classic candy bars with a delicious combination of milk chocolate and chewy caramel that’s nestled on a layer of buttery shortbread.
Table of Contents
This copycat Twix candy bar recipe is a real candy bar lover’s dream come true. They have the classic chewy caramel center, crumbly shortbread crust and the sweet rich milk chocolate coating, just like everyone’s favorite store-bought Twix, but even BETTER!
The best part about these Twix bars is that, even though they don’t look like it, they really are super easy to make. Don’t let all those delicious layers intimidate you. The hardest part is waiting for the gooey caramel layer to cool and set up, but it is SO worth the wait!
Why We Love This Homemade Twix Bar
We love Twix so much and this homemade version is fun to make ans is an awesome recipe.
- Better than Twix- This copycat recipe for Twix taste even better than the real thing without all the added preservatives.
- No fuss recipe – The caramel center is easy to make, and the best part is, no candy thermometer is needed.
- Customizable – You can make these Twix bars into small bite sized treats or larger, full-sized dessert squares.
- 9 x 9 square pan
- Medium saucepan
- Cookie sheet
- Meauring cup
- Wooden Spoon
- Forks (2)- for dipping
Ingredients to Make Twix and Home
- Granulated sugar
- Butter – slightly softened
Homemade Caramel layer:
- Light brown sugar
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Corn syrup
- Chocolate almond bark
- Oil – (melted coconut oil or vegetable oil for best results)
How to Make Twix Bars at Home
Set the butter to sit out about 30 minutes before baking. You’re not looking for room temperature, just, slightly softened.
Preheat the oven to 350° Line a 9×9 pan with parchment paper.
Step One: Make Shortbread
- In a medium size bowl combine flour and sugar.
- Next, cut in the butter into medium sized pieces and sprinkle them all around the bowl.
- Use a fork to incorporate the butter into the mixture. It will have a dry and crumbly texture.
- Press shortbread cookie bar mixture down into the bottom of the pan in an even layer and bake for 20 minutes or until it’s light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on wire rack.
Step Two: Make the Caramel
- Make the caramel from scratch: In a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, add the butter and melt. Add in the brown sugar, corn syrup, and sweetened condensed milk.
- Stir with a wooden spoon and bring to a boil and cook for 3-4 minutes, remove from heat and stir for 2 minutes or until it’s thick.
Step Three: Add Caramel to the Buttery Shortbread Crust
- Gently pour the caramel mixture over the cooled shortbread.
- Let it set to cool until the caramel sauce is firm. For best results, let cool in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
Step Four: Cut into Separate Twix Bar Size Pieces
- Once firm use a sharp knife cut into 2 inch strips, almost the size of a mini twix bar.
Step Five: Melt the Chocolate Coating
- Mix the chocolate almond bark and oil into a microwave-safe bowl, stirring every 10 seconds until it’s melted and smooth.
- On a flat tray or sheet pan and place a piece of parchment paper or wax paper down.
Step Six: Dip the Twix
- With two forks, place one bar on top of the fork and dip and use the other fork to pour melted chocolate on the top and sides of the layer of caramel. Scrap the bottom of the fork/ bar with the other fork or side of bowl. Place onto parchment paper. Repeat until all done.
- Place tray with bars on them in the fridge for about 15 minutes. Once they have hardened, enjoy!
Copycat Twix Candy Bar Variations
- Use a different chocolate: You can coat your Twix bars in your favorite chocolate. Of you can add a drizzle of a different type, like melted white chocolate chips or semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Change the size: We cut them to look similar in size to your favorite candy bar. But you can make the bars any size you want. You just don’t want them too large, or they may break while coating in the chocolate.
- Shortcut crust: The delicious shortbread crust in this recipe is what gives them that prefect little snap when you bite into them. But if you need a shortcut, you can use graham crackers as the cookie layer.
- Topping: Add an extra special touch with just a small pinch of flaky sea salt on the tops of the bars before the chocolate dries. You can also add festive sprinkles or edible gold flakes if you’re making them for a holiday, birthday or other special occasion.
Why is a Twix Candy Bar Called a Twix?
The name “Twix” is derived from the combination of the words “twin” and “sticks,” representing the two individual chocolate-covered biscuit bars that make up the candy. The unique twin bar design has been a distinctive feature of Twix since its creation, leading to its memorable name.
How Long Do Twix Bars Last?
These candy cars will stay fresh in the fridge in an airtight container for 2-3 days. After that, the cookie crust will begin to soften some, but they will still taste great for up to a week. You can also freeze them, though they are best when freshly made.
Can Store Bought Caramel Work on the Twix bars?
Unfortunately, no, you need to make the caramel layer (it’s like a homemade candy) so that it will be the correct consistency. Typically, store-bought caramel isn’t thick enough and won’t “harden” like the candy recipe included for these Twix bars.
What To Do With Leftover Twix?
Store in an air-tight container for a few days.
Quick Tips and Tricks:
- When making the caramel, it’s important to stir it often because the sugary mixture will harden on the bottom of the saucepan and can burn.
- Don’t rush the chill time. There are two chilling times. One, after you add the caramel and another one when you coat them in chocolate. Both of these steps are important in making sure you end up with firm, candy bar like texture.
- One of the most important tips about this recipe is to use a good quality almond bark or chocolate. It’s the first flavor you’ll taste when you bite into your scrumptious candy bar so it’s important to use one that taste really good.
Make these homemade Twix bars and enjoy as a sweet treat as an afternoon snack, or serve as a special treat for dessert. They’re also great at a cookie exchange.
More Chocolate Recipes
- Mint Chocolate Oreo Balls
- Hot Cocoa Fudge
- Chocolate Mint Fudge
- Ritz Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookies
- Old Fashion Hot Fudge Sauce
- Oreo Poke Cake
- Andes Mint Fudge
Homemade Twix Bars
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 Tablespoons corn syrup
- 24 ounces chocolate almond bark
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line a 9 x 9 pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl combine flour and sugar. Using a pastry cutter or a fork press the butter into the mixture until it's crumbly.
- Press the crust mixture into the bottom of the pan and bake for 18-20 minutes. Watch closely – bake until just lightly golden brown. When done baking, remove from oven and let cool.
- While the crust is cooling, make the caramel. In a medium-sized saucepan add the butter, melt and then add the brown sugar, corn syrup, and sweetened condensed milk. Stir and bring to a boil and cook for 3-4 minutes, remove from heat and continue stirring for 2 minutes or until it's thick.
- Pour over the cooled shortbread and then let it set to cool until caramel is firm (you can place in refrigerator for 10 minutes to speed up the firming process.)
- Once firm, cut into 2-inch strips, the size of a mini-Twix bar.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Mix the chocolate almond bark and oil into a microwave safe bowl, stirring every 10 seconds.
- With two forks, place one bar on top of the fork and dip and use the other fork to pour chocolate on the top and sides. Place onto parchment paper. Repeat until all bars are coated.
- Place tray with bars on them in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to harden.
What’s For Dinner?
Find a recipe for dinner tonight! Get our Top 10 Most Popular recipes ebook sent right to your email.