This site contains affiliate links. Please see Disclosure Policies for more information.
Conversation hearts: Be Mine. True Love, Friends. Conversation hearts with those sweet sayings are what make Valentine’s Day, well, Valentine’s Day. Do you remember them? I had them as a kid and my kids have them for Valentine’s Day now.
I decided to make a cupcake and frosting that resemble the flavor of these hearts. I used a box mix for the base of the cupcake to keep it simple, and to save a little time, but I created a frosting from scratch that really does taste like these little guys.
This method did NOT work. I put them into a ziptop bag and had my daughter try to crush them with a rolling pin. We rolled over them and we used the rolling pin like a hammer. As you can see from the bag in the photo, they got crushed, but not pulverized. You want a fine dust at the end.
We tried the food processor. This did NOT work either. Shocked me that this didn’t work. But, it was no better than the rolling pin method. My third attempt, I put them into a bullet blender. One like this: Magic Bullet. This totally worked! My next try was going to be my high-powered blender, but I didn’t need that on this recipe.
Then, I made the frosting. This was yummy. I thought the butter cream would be more of a pink color, but it turns out that when you mix pink, green, white, and orange, you get a peach effect. This is a sweet, and thick, frosting. It was hard to pipe so next time I’d just spread it on and put the heart on top for decoration.
The kids loved this cupcake.
Here’s the recipe:
- 2 cups butter room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup conversation heart powder
- 1 jar marshmallow creme 13 oz
- 2 Tablespoons milk or cream
- Put softened butter in mixer and beat until smooth
- Sift together powdered sugar and conversation heart powder
- Add sugar mixture one cup at a time, to butter. Mix between each cup
- Add marshmallow creme and mix
- If icing is too thick add milk or cream, one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached
You might also like our chocolate covered strawberries.
12 Days of Cookies!
Get 12 AMAZING Christmas cookie recipes in your email!