Make this Asian noodle bowl with grilled shrimp in under 15 minutes. Yes, you read that right. In less than 15 minutes you can have an amazing, healthy, and DELICIOUS sesame noodle dinner. We’ve been in a dinnertime rut making the same meals over and over again and I finally said, ENOUGH. I decided to try something new and my family LOVED the results. If I’d have known this dinner was going to be this easy, I’d have made it sooner. But, you don’t have to make the same mistake. This is a super easy recipe, but packs big spicy flavor.
Simple and Easy Asian Noodle Bowl
The first step to make this sesame noodle bowl is to get all of your ingredients ahead of time. Once you have them you can make this dinner in a flash. I ordered many of the ingredients from my Walmart Grocery app so I didn’t even have to traipse through the store to find them. And, I had many already in my pantry.
Sesame Noodle Ingredients
I want to say something about the ingredients list before you stop and think it’s too many and you’re never going to make this Asian noodle bowl. Although it seems like a lot, you probably already have many of them in your pantry (sugar, peanut butter, soy sauce, garlic, etc). And, if you simply can’t find one of the ingredients, like let’s say that chili garlic sauce, or maybe the ginger, it’s not going to be a deal breaker for the recipe. It WILL change the flavor, but there are so many dramatic flavors in this recipe that I’d suggest you try it and see how it tastes. Just don’t leave out too many. The sauce is amazing and has layers of flavors: it’s a little spicy and a tiny bit sweet. Just delicious!
Ingredients that you need to make sure you have on hand:
- Egg noodles
- Sesame oil
- Soy Sauce
- Chinese rice vinegar
- Peanut butter
- Fresh ginger
- Chili garlic sauce
- Shrimp (fresh or frozen)
- Lime wedge
First, chop your toppings and set out your seasonings and sauces.
Next you’re going to cook the egg noodles – it only takes 5 minutes! – and follow the directions with the sesame oil then set them aside while you grill the shrimp. Just pop the shrimp on a grill pan (I use one like this – grill on one side, do pancakes on the other!) and grill 2 minutes each side, or until shrimp turns pink and is cooked through.
Whisk together the sauce ingredients and toss with chilled noodles. Then just assemble in individual bowls. The presentation part of this dish is fun.
The sauce was a little spicy for my little ones so we gave them the noodles and toppings with a little low-sodium soy sauce. They loved that. If your family doesn’t like spicy dishes, leave out the chili and garlic sauce.
Everyone loved this dinner. I love that it was in one dish and didn’t make a mess in the kitchen. Clean up was a breeze! We felt like we’d gone out for a nice dinner.
15-Minute Asian Noodle Bowl with Grilled Shrimp
- 1 lb. package egg noodles
- 1 lb. shrimp fresh or frozen
- Half a cucumber
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- 4-5 sprigs of cilantro
- Chopped peanuts for garnish
For the sauce
- 2 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 1/2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 Tablesppons Chinese rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Tahini
- 1 Tablespoon smooth peanut butter
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon freshly ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- Start water boiling for noodles
- Chop toppings and set aside (peel and julienne the cucumber into 2 inch long segments, chop the cilantro, cut lime into wedges, slice the avocado)
- Cook the noodles in boiling water about 5 minutes, until tender (don't over cook)
- Drain and rinse with cold water, toss with a teaspoon sesame oil
- Set noodles aside
- In mixing bowl, whisk together 2 Tablespoons sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, tahini, peanut butter, sugar, ginger, garlic, and chili garlic paste.
- Pour sauce over noodles and toss with tongs until noodles are covered with sauce.
- Grill shrimp on grill pan, 2 minutes each side or until pink
- Place noodles in individual serving bowls
- Top with grilled shrimp, avocado, cucumber, sprouts, cilantro and lime wedge. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts.
You might also love our quick and easy jasmine rice recipe.