I’ve been wanting to make a different cupcake and didn’t know exactly what to do – until I saw a special Lavender Syrup from The French Farm. That’s when I knew I had to make a lavender buttercream. These lemon cupcakes with lavender buttercream are a winning combination of sophistication and elegance.
You can smell the sweet scent of the lavender as soon as you open the bottle: gentle yet enticing.
The cupcakes are easy to make, and so is the buttercream. Really couldn’t be easier.
Lemon and lavender partner together really well and balance each other out. This cupcake has the freshness of the lemon and the lightness of the lavender flavor.
This a simple and uncomplicated recipe that has delicate and decadent flavors. It would be perfect for a bridal shower or brunch. Sophisticated yet simple.
Lemon Cupcakes with Lavender Buttercream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 1 stick
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 12 teaspoons unsalted butter 1 1/2 sticks
- 4 teaspoons milk
- 1/4 cup + 2 teaspoons lavender syrup
- purple food coloring optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place cupcake liners in cupcake pan
- Mix sugar, butter, eggs until creamy
- Add lemon extract
- In separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt
- Alternate adding flour mixture and milk until combined with butter mixture
- Pour batter into cupcake liners, filling about 2/3 full
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until center of cupcake comes out clean
- Remove from oven and let cool
- Mix butter until creamy
- Add sugar and beat until creamy
- Add lavender syrup and milk and mix until smooth
- Add a few drops, one at a time, of food coloring to get the desired tint
- Frost cupcakes when cool
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share it with me on @thebalancingmom and follow on Tiktok @balancingmotherhood and Pinterest @thebalancingmom for more!
This post is part of Cookout Week where I partnered with other bloggers to create and share amazing cookout recipes. I received complimentary lavender syrup to try, but did not receive any compensation. Here are a few other recipes you may want to check out!
What's For Dinner?
Find a recipe for dinner tonight! Get our Top 10 Most Popular recipes ebook sent right to your email.
Comments & Reviews
I love lavender. Will have to try this syrup. Also love lemon cake…mmmmm
Thanks for the recipe, but I think it needs an edit. For the lemon cupcakes, you should instruct bakers to use room temperature/soft butter, and, like you do in the buttercream instructions, instruct bakers to mix together the butter until smooth, then mix in the eggs and sugar. My first two times making this were not very successful because I had lumpy butter; thinking perhaps it wasn’t room temperature “enough,” I decided to leave the butter out all day, and soften it a little extra in the microwave. It was definitely room temperature, and though my lumps are not as big as they were in my first two attempts, I definitely still have lumps. Any suggestions? In my first attempt, I was able to get rid of the majority of the lumps by strenuously mixing the entire mixture, but I over-mixed the flour and my cupcakes were too dense.
Also – – for those who want to DIY their own lavender simple syrup, I would caution against this. The fat separates from the buttercream when you add the syrup, and results in that grainy sort of texture. Maybe the Parisian one she uses is better, but for some reason, infused lavender + sugar + water does not play well with butter and powdered sugar.
I really love cakes muffins. I must want to try these. thanks for sharing this amazing article and recipe of lemon cupcakes lavender buttercream.